Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 
cjz96

Dilemma here; rescue betta with injuries

I rescued a fish. His pectoral fins are ripped off (for good) and he can't swim right. His fins aren't working or something. He CAN'T be in a large tank. Nothing over 1/2 gallon. Even a half gallon is a lot for him. He can't function right and gets stressed and will probably drown. Will he be alright in a 1/4-1/2 for the rest of his life? I will do water changes everyday. On another hand, water changes stress him out a LOT. If I were not to do water changes as often, I would have to put him in a larger tank. How would I go about water changes less stressfully? Please don't think of me as inhumane. I tried putting him in a proper tank. He is now in a 1/4 critter keeper with a tannis source. I put a heating pack on the bottom of the tank to keep him warm. What else can I do for him? Thank you!
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

can you post a video of him on youtube so we can see how bad his swimming is? and also can we have some pics? how exactly did he lose his fins if you dont mind me asking.... and if its really that bad you can keep him in a small tank... but it has to at least be big enough to be kept warm.
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #3 
DiiQue

You could use one of those floating or attachable dividers that people use for baby fish (the ones that look like strainers) so the guy will be in shallower water, but since that will be in a bigger tank, you wont have to do frequent WCs.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #4 
Aus

You could always go for a larger, longer tank like a bookshelf 6.6 gallon, but with a much reduced water level. He can wiggle up and down that and still be able to surface for air in the low water.. and it'd be somewhat less a hassle than changing his current tiny tank daily to avoid ammonia issues.

If you got a mini-heater (I use the 30w Dymax ones, they're small, reliable and powerful enough for a betta tank) you could position it on or near the bottom of the tank so as to heat the water properly.

You could add lots of plants and floating wisteria, stuff to help him prop himself up for a rest near the surface and hide in to feel more secure. And do partial water changes with pre-aged/tanniny water a little bit warmed by a couple of seconds in the microwave, or just use warm tap water, and leave him in the tank meanwhile.

Less stress for you, less for the fish. The IAL is a really good call for stress reduction/injury treatment as well.

I'm really curious as to how he got his fins ripped off!

Last edited by Aus; 08-23-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #5 
cjz96

No clue. His fins were already ripped off when i got him. I will try to get a video tonight when i get back. I have been giving him oak leaves as a tannin source. Do you know where i can order IAL? I can try to put the divider thing up. I do have one.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #6 
Sivan

I believe OFL said any oak leaf without pesticides is essentially the same thing as IAL.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #7 
CandiceMM

That is so sad!!! I do hope in time and with some loving care he can grow them back. You are a wonderful person for taking in a Betta that needs special care like him. He is very lucky to have found you :) Please keep us posted on his progress, good luck!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote