Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #11 
Tofino

Yeah, I'm not going to be putting my betta in there for quite a while yet. He's still in quarentine.

I was thinking about putting my adf in there though, but do you think I should wait a while first?

I decided to put my tank somewhere else because I couldn't find an adjustable heater. But the new place works better anyway lol.

Thanks for all the help, guys. :)
Tofino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Hello, I have experience in cycling small tanks.

Truth-be-told, there are ammonia readings in my test today. It's only .25ppm so I plan on doing a water change later today. Cycling small tanks is no easy matter. My 3.5 has been cycling since August 2nd, it's been... 22 days. The tank maybe unstable at first but it'll get safer in time. The key for cycling small tanks is to keep ammonia levels low by limiting the amount of food you give. I recommend feeding your Betta 1-2 pellet every other day. This way, ammonia levels stay low and your fish will have a smaller chance of getting fat. However, you are doing a fishless cycle and that interferes with the cycle. The tank is too small for the ADF and you can't put that in there with the Betta once it's done. Could you buy pure ammonia? Make sure it's the kind that doesn't bubble up if you shake it. As some other members have mentioned, the shrimp method is just a piece of crap. It'll rot in the tank and will give off some type of bad bacteria. And later on, it'll spread to your Betta and make it sick, again.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallon, betta, cycling, tank