Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #1 
Goldie2nd

Cycling a 10 gallon tank

Ok I have a 10 gallon tank which had sick fish in it. I already cleaned it throughly. I even decided to keep it mostly simple in order to move in my one surviving betta Neon. I decided to just keep one fish is easier and more responsible than keep three. I want my fish to be happy and healthy. So I put the water conditiner, the Aqua. Salt I'm filtering it now how long should I keep the filter running and stuff for it to be completely cycled? That'smy question. I am ceratain the whole tank is clean and it has less gravel than before to ensure is clean. Even the bottom and keeping my Betta alone in a 10 gallon should be ideal.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 
Laki

What did you clean everything with? Since all your fish died in it (sorry to hear that, btw) I would rinse everything with vinegar and clean it well, soak it in hot water and rinse again. Throw out the filter cartridge you were using before and give your filter a good clean too.
If this is all done you can run it empty for a few days before adding a fish. To cycle a tank you need to add fish so ammonia and BB can turn into nitrites and nitrates (Oh god, someone please correct me if I am wrong) I know you can do a fishless cycle but it takes way longer.
You should pick up a liquid test kit (though I can't say anything because I don't have one).
It might be risky for the fish to be in there while it's cycling because the daily fluctuations of chemistry can kill.. Hmm.. Here's the sticky on proper cycling- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Read through that.

Also, no need for aquarium salt. Remove it for the BB to do its thing. by the way, BB stands for Beneficial Bacteria.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #3 
Goldie2nd

Ok well I'm cycling it fishless I cleaned the tank as you said I also, clenaed the filter and I also took out the last filter sponge thing and threw it out and put a clean one in. Right now I put clean water with declorisitiser and I might put some flake food in i hear this helps with the cycling well read. Thanks so much Laki for all your help!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

It depends every tank is different , I have been cycling my 5 gallon with fish in for a month and half now but its almost cycled just a little ammonia showing up on the test. The API Master Freshwater Kit is the way to go it helps so much and I would write down each day the results of the test. Good luck !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #5 
Goldie2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
It depends every tank is different , I have been cycling my 5 gallon with fish in for a month and half now but its almost cycled just a little ammonia showing up on the test. The API Master Freshwater Kit is the way to go it helps so much and I would write down each day the results of the test. Good luck !
Thanks so much Perseumom I will keep all that in mind also with what I read on cycling I'm doing my best for my fish. I will also try to get a devider to at some point get a new Betta. :) But maybe later on because 10 gallon I think is too much of a space for a little guy will see maybe not cus one betta is enough for right now.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #6 
Laki

I feel that 10g looks empty with just one fish.
You could always stock it full of plants.
Personally if I had space for a 10 I would divide it for sure. I like the look.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 
Goldie2nd

I know Laki but @ the moment is fine with just one Betta I'm also going on a trip for a few weeks so I can't put so much reponsibility on my mother but will indeed keep it in mind. it is fully stoked with plants trust m and little things here and there is fine.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your very welcome Goldie this is my first time at cycling a tank and I learned so much right here on the forum I would have been lost without it. Yes cycling is the best for your fish and it helped that Perseus likes water changes cause you have to do alot of them but never more then say 50 percent, once or twice I did a 65 percent just to bring the ammonia level way down. Get some Prime water conditioner it detoxies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for like 48 hours that give me a better peace of mind. I mainly did alot of small water changes like 25 percent each day and 2 50 percent a week.

Good idea you could always add one more if you wanted too that would be great but yeah one fish is enough for me too right now...lol Its really alot of work and worry just keeping up with one !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #9 
Goldie2nd

I know right all the thing to do for them. I just filled the tank up will have to do a water change later on in the day to help clean it well. Will move him in a week or so not ready to move hi to his new place just yet. Want to make sure his new home is extra special now. I hate the fact that I got so many other fish in the first place no point there Betta's are the way to go they really are! Gonna post a pic soon of Neon's new home to be!

Last edited by Goldie2nd; 08-22-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #10 
Laki

Hope you still decide to keep the 10g idea. Real live plants I meant, I see you had some nice silk ones in there. Those are nice, he'll need more though (IMO)