Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #11 
shellieca
Reference Team

If I'm underrstanding correctly you are currently doing a fish LESS cycle? If so what are you using for an ammonia source? I may have missed it your postings. I just completed fish IN cycling a 10g & it took about 8 weeks. Fish LESS should take less time because you should be dosing higher amounts of ammonia than a single fish can produce. I have 2 10g tanks each with one male Betta & 1 Mystery snail & it's perfect IMO, the boys can really stretch & swim. My personal preference is nothing smaller than a 10g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #12 
Goldie2nd

Well I've decided to go on the smaller route for my fish. Neon did not seem to even swim well in the 10 gallon tank. If anythin g I may get na divider and set it up as a 5 gallon for eac new fish that I hope to get soon. But for now they will be at least quaritine in a 1 gallon fish bowl and see how they do in there. Neon really could hardly swim in a 10 gallon and the filter was hardly dripping just dripping water so it was not the filter. my fish betta Neon is a much hapier helthier fish in his currnt 1 gallon bowl I must say. Thanks though
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #13 
Goldie2nd

Well Um Neone the one Betta is staying in his one Gallon as for newer fish I'm still am cycling the 10 gallon thank God I had an extra flter so the cycling will go much smoothlier. I talked to my mom and we decided getting a divider and no more tanks is much wiser for everyone conserned. I am happpy to see the filter running and going makes me happy that I'm doing my best for my upcomming additions to the family.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #14 
Laki

It won't cycle without an ammonia source.
Ammonia is produced by fish waste for a fish-in cycle.
Without fish, you'll need to add an ammonia source- Not sure how tbh.
If Neon is having difficulty swimming it's possible he might have something wrong with his swim bladder or something else. Like I said before, VT's can swim fine in a large tank without a filter current.

Can you somehow get more pics or a video of him swimming??
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #15 
Goldie2nd

Um no he swims fine in the one gallon. Besides I'm hehe got two new fish today for the 10 gallon. One of them is not too acitve at the moment the other is swimming perfectly. I have quarintine them in there 1 gallon fish quarintine bowls for now. Um no no amoniia just regular water changes and using some little bit of flake food.

Last edited by Goldie2nd; 08-23-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #16 
Laki

Water changes and flake food do not establish a cycle.
The fish being in there will do the cycle. What kind of fish did you get?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #17 
Goldie2nd

Well then I'll just have to dump the fish in there then. So much for that I guess. I got a Crown Tail Betta and a V-tail. The Crown Tail is all red. The V-tail is blakc head, like a black mask, blue and green when it hit the light.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #18 
Laki

Sounds good.
Make sure the divider is put in nice and tight because they're going to be trying to fight for a while.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #19 
Goldie2nd

Ah Ok will make sure again for the 100 th time lol I always like to make sure. I might do the in fish cycling then because they seem healthy enough. Will have to read more n it though
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #20 
Laki

That's fine as long as you do small water changes for the first few weeks or months. Keep checking your water with a testing kit until your ammonia levels reach 0.
I think someone here said it took 8 weeks for a 10 gallon.