Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 
HopeNicholson

First pet ive ever bought!

Ive never owned a fish before and never actually bought any pets (all my pets have been stray cats). My friend works at a Petco and about a week or two back we were all in there browsing around for fun while she worked and my other friend randomly gave in a bought a dumbo rat (later she bought a 2nd so they wouldnt be lonely). Anyway I froze right in front of the betta section. Ive never ever had an interest in fish EVER, but something about bettas suddenly caught me. At first I looked at the veiltails because I guess i wanted to try and save some money. I found a couple i liked and sat there FOREVER trying to decide, but eventually my friend took us to the backroom where they had more and I looked at those ones. My friend even found one for herself, a VERY pretty opaque/white Double Tail Half Moon Plakat. She noticed a younger crowntail and picked him up to show me. Earlier her fiance was telling me how he likes the crowntails alot and I just didnt like their look at first. But I took him and said i'd consider it. So i sat him next to the veiltails i was considering and kept staring at them all. Eventually I got my friend to make the final decision for me since i just couldnt decide. She told me to go with the crowntail. And so i did! In the end we all left the store with with a pet :D

Im SUPER attached to him now! Named him Loki :) And im so in love with bettas that im even going back to Petco this week to buy a beautiful indigo/yellow Double Tail Half Moon Plakat that i saw there last week (my friend told me as of Sunday he was still there too! :D). I honestly would love to buy them all if i could, because so many of them are so pretty and i hate to see them bought by people and kids who really dont know how to properly care for them.

1st Picture ---- Loki in his little transfer tank while I clean his big tank. Depending on how the light hits him or what angle you see him at he'll either look green or VERY blue. He is pretty small so im not exactly sure if he's going to grow or if he's just a small guy. Either way i loooove him. Never thought in a million years i'd be a fish person! :D

2nd Picture ---- The betta im going to be picking up this week if hes still there! I wouldnt be surprised if i even came home with TWO bettas this week lol
Attached Images

HopeNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 
Laki

Congrats on your new fish!! They're like pokemon - Gotta catch them all!!
He's a smart boy. The second pic there looks like a mustard gas DTPK (double tail, plakat) but it could be the pic. Very nice !

What size tank are these going in? And are they going in together? (divided)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #3 
HopeNicholson

I'll be buying a separate tank for the second guy actually :) Yea I think he miiiight be a mustard gas one from what ive looked up, honestly the pic doesnt do him enough justice with the indigo color on his body. He caught me eye SO fast in the store. Im just really hoping he's still there this week! I mean i could always find another one but of all the awesome ones ive seen there so far hes the first one with such an amazing clash of colors!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #4 
Laki

With your friend being a hookup, can't she put him out back? ;) I would ask!!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 
HopeNicholson

Also Loki is in a 2.5g right now, but i'll be upgrading him to a larger tank once I get everything organized and what not. He loves his tank though! He also loves bugging me in the morning when i take the lid off and when i get home from work at night :) Hes just so awesome!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #6 
HopeNicholson

I think i am going to ask her to do that (if she already hasnt!) Cause i talk about that fish soooo much lately. But yea i think im going to message her today and see if she can do that. Cant wait to see what i walk out of that store with this week, im all sorts of excited!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #7 
Laki

It's hard NOT to fall in love right away! :) When I got my first betta Lakitu I had him in a .5g thing. o-o He was still eager and happy but I upgraded him. I think 2.5 is the perfect size. Of course bigger is better but it all depends on what kind of space you're working with and with what funds. (for heaters and such)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #8 
HopeNicholson

Yea youre quite right! I think i'll consider a larger tank if i somehow hit owning 3 bettas and just get one large tank and divide it and have another betta in the 2.5g

I guess we'll see what happens in the future. To be honest Loki is pretty darn small so he fits perfectly in the 2.5g. He has plenty of space and enjoys it :) Im probably going to get another 2.5g for this 2nd fish......since ive got that hook up im able to save a few bucks on things so it certainly doesnt hurt my wallet at all thankfully :)
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is very pretty looks so much like my crowntail Perseus . These little guys are awesome you are going to enjoy him so much !!! Welcome to the forum this is the perfect place to learn about proper Betta care.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #10 
HopeNicholson

Thanks! Glad i could find an awesome place to learn and share pictures and info! :) Im already loving my little Loki so darn much, everyday it just gets more and more fun!