Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 
LionCalie

Angry "He will have to die here...."

A visit to Walmart never fails to ruin my day.

I went in to check on the Bettas because I've had problems with this store in the past. Once again they have let conditions deteriorate. Many were ill and in filthy cups. Then I came across a veiltail boy on deaths door. You could hardly see him through the dirty water. He had severe fin rot to the point that the bottom of the cup was covered in pieces of his fins. He was floating at the surface breathing hard with ammonia burns all over. I picked him up and walked to an open register. My intention was to get him free of charge and try to save him. If I couldn't save him then at least he would have died in clean warm water.

While holding up the cup, I told the employee behind the register that he was in really bad condition. She agreed. I told her how I had gotten Bettas that were ill for free from that exact same store in the past. That I have lots of medications if that is what is needed and the knowledge to potentially save his life. Well it turns out the manager who said it was okay to get sick ones for free in the past was no longer working there. She claimed that the new management would not allow me to take the dying fish because they needed to write a claim report.

Suddenly I realized why they seem to not care and neglect the Bettas so blatantly. They actually get MONEY off the DEAD fish! They would rather get a tiny amount of money off him dying there in a filthy cup with his fins disintegrating than let me take him free of charge. I told the employee that it was either he die an awful death with them, or potentially get better with me or at least die in good care. Her actual words were, "He is going to have to die here." I was so shocked that I couldn't speak... I could not in good conscience support the cycle of abuse with my money. So I walked away.

The woman said she was sorry, but I ignored her empty apology. I actually had to fight back tears. I was just so frustrated and heartbroken that I had to leave him behind. I will not allow his death and suffering to be in vain... I'm going to write to corporate, tell them what happened, and that I'm NEVER buying ANYTHING from that store again.

I'm sorry this ended up being so long. Thank you to those that take the time to read it. I just felt the need to share what happened with those who understand.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I'm so sorry!! Thank god there are no Walmarts near here... Who does she think she is?! Heartless people don't deserve jobs. >:(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I am speechless.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #4 
bettafishfinnatic

dont worry the length dosnt matter anymore.. why wouldnt they let you take him you should have somebody go in the store and see if he is still there and if he is then have them get it for you with out no complaint.. if he isnt then have them ask about him.. lol i just watched a sicking video on youtube about bettas that are mistreated ): at least if was worth a shot though (: im glad that you tried to make a difference in the life of that poor animal you have gained my respect
bettafishfinnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Protest with signs!
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #6 
aqua001

No...way...crazy,cruel woman. I'm so sorry, all walmart bettas.:'(
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #7 
CharStarr

It shows what an amazing and kind person you are that you fought for that little betta's life. You were there for him against all odds and I cannot even begin to wrap my head around what that horrible Wal Mart employee. How dare she say that, that makes me sick. Honestly, what is this world coming to?
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

I used to work at a wal-mart and I helped with claim reports and such. She is telling you the truth. They do make money back in taxes and such with their claims of damaged or in this case dead fish. The problem with what she said was that they didn't need the fish to write a claim report. All she needed to do was write down the fish's UPC and put it in the claim box as a write off. I hate to tell her but walmart does not keep dead fish in a claim bucket. She obviously had no idea what she was talking about. Maybe you can call and ask the new management about this and tell him what I wrote here. See if he can rework it that way. Also let them know you used to get sick ones for free.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #9 
LionCalie

Thanks for the suggestions and info, Shirleythebetta. She really didn't act like she knew what she was talking about. Next time I will demand to speak to a manager, that is what I usually do. I was so completely taken back by whole situation I didn't even think of it. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Thank you to those that responded as well. It helps me to feel not as alone in the fight. I did send corporate an email today. In it I asked them to at least look into the ongoing Betta care problem at that store or stop selling them there altogether. It is obvious the employees are incapable of keeping up with quality of care for any extended amount of time.

I will make sure to update this thread when/if I get a reply from corporate.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #10 
JackisLost

she is just an employee doing her job and trying to make the company money. don't blame her for it even though you had great intentions. maybe ask or go back in someone else's register that looks more caring or ask for the manager.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote