Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #1 
scurrie11

First Rescue!

Ok, so, all of you inspired me to rescue my very first betta. I convinced my work to give me this poor chap to "go home and die". Like I would let that happen.. He's supposed to be a halfmoon double tail male, but, as of right now, its not looking like it. He's kinda blue, but very gray right at the moment. His spine is crooked and he has barely any tail on the top, some tail on the bottom and his ventral fins are all balled up into clumps :[ He is suuuuper skinny too.

I fed him a couple of frozen blood worms tonight, he ate 3 and is perking up a little bit. Heated 3.5 gallon tank with lots of room to swim and heal. Added 2 drops of diluted melafix, some aquarium salt, and put the heater in the gravel instead of under the tank.

Any tips for first time rescue bettas?
scurrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #2 
scurrie11

Oh and PS, I will post pictures tomorrow at some point. I don't have a light on his tank anymore, because the fixture somehow got into the water when I left for work, and SOMEHOW managed to burn out in the water, then spurt nasty gray stuff into the tank, so I spent the first hour I got home cleaning up the tank and resetting it up. He's floating in his cup on the top to reach temp equilibrium.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 
DiiQue

Good luck with the little fellow! I cant wait to see the pictures.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #4 
scurrie11

Alright, he was at the top for some quick snapshots. He is sitting completely vertical now, on the bottom, nose on the gravel, tail in the air :[

Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #5 
Luimeril

sounds like some nasty SBD. keep his water clean and warm, don't use the -fix meds(they've been known to harm bettas labyrinth organ. and that's bettafix that does that. which is already diluted melafix. so....). if he has the will to live, you'll know. he's gonna be a looker, that's for sure. my royal blue CT was about the same shade of steel blue when i got him.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #6 
scurrie11

Hmm, ok thank you for that tip. He seems perkier than he was a few hours ago. his eyes are killing me, they're all big and round like they're popping out, but its just how they are on his head, and they're like people eyes, which makes them look even bigger :P he is SO SMALL I didn't realize it until I stuck him in his tank, hes like, an inch and a half with his sad excuse for a tail...not even... He's swimming around the top of the water, just chilling, I think it's past his bedtime :P
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #7 
scurrie11

Alright, update on Rico (That's Mr. Rescue's name)

He seems a little better today. I'm trying to decide whether or not to feed him, since he's doing that weird upside down thing. Could that be a symptom for something other than SBD? Should I feed him a little? I'm not sure, he's just so sad looking :[
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

Oh wow poor baby, I hope Rico recovers. How long has it been since he was last fed?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #9 
scurrie11

I fed him when I got him home last night at 11. If I were to feed him again, I'd probably wait until tonight. I don't think he was getting fed at the store :[ They've been working me everywhere else but the fish department, so I haven't been able to take special care of the betta kids :[
Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #10 
laynisample

I would try feeding him. Just to encourage it. My fish are spoiled and get three pellets twice a day and one blood worm once a day.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote