Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #11 
Microfish

Hi Sakura8,

I was just going to treat him but wanted to ask about the dosage you metioned in the earlier posting first: if it should be 1/2 cup of medicated water for every gallon, shouldn't I put in 3 quarters of a cup for a 1.77 tank instead of 1.5 cups? Maybe it has to do with mixing the five cups of water with the powder in a separate container to begin with? Thanks!

Last edited by Microfish; 08-28-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Sent before finishing typing.
Microfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Microfish, yes, you can put in 1 and 3/4 cup. I'm terrible at math, especially fractions, so I just rounded it down to the nearest half. Fortunately, a veterinary friend told me that formula and it has saved my life when it comes to medicating fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

Dropsy is not irreversable, just very hard to stop unless you know what is causing the dropsy. Dropsy is not a disease, but the effect of internal organs shutting down. Fix the problem with the organs, the dropsy goes away. My Nixon's dropsy was reversed and whatever cause it cured... will be 2 years in March since he's been cured (and there are posts on here to prove it :) )
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #14 
Pearl2011

Pitluvs, that is co cool! Too bad Melafix isnt that strong lol And the betta in your sig looks exactly like Bubbles

Micro, I found AQ at 3ml a gallon really helped. Didn't reverse it, but he could swim easier and he got almost all of his cornflour back. Thank god for besties with extra medication :)
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #15 
Pearl2011

I mean color, stupid auto correct
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #16 
Microfish

Thanks Sakura8. Thank you for sharing the formula, math is also not my best subject and I was really worried about dosing it wrong.

He hasn't been moving much but he just tried and has trouble, then his gill started going in and out visably and his body got stuck in a curved shape. He still is pretty much hanging with his head near the surface and body going straight down but has spread his tail fins out more than they were before. He does have a plant to rest on but hasn't gotten near it. I'm afraid that I will stress him out more if I try to move him to the plant.

Would you recommend using a heater while I treat him? I have a Marina C10 that automatically sets at 78 F.

For food, I'm currently giving him Tetra Betta Min Tropical Medley flakes but he is not eating tonight. I'm thinking about switchng back to frozen brine or blood worms. Do you think that will be ok or have any other ideas? I used to also give him Aqueon Betta food pellets but he couldn't get them in his mouth so I switched to flakes and frozen food.

Thank you again for all of your help and advice.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #17 
Sakura8

You can try the heater, just make sure the temp doesn't go over 80 F. Sometimes automatic, nonadjustable heaters go overboard. I would also definitely recommend trying to entice him to eat with frozen blood worms. I've heard the Aqueon pellets are pretty big. A couple of good pellets are Omega One Betta Buffet pellets or New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets. New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm pellets are also very good for fish who have trouble with larger pellets.

Can't remember if I suggested it before but you can also use 3 tsps of epsom salt along with the medicine. Poor guy, I sure hope he rallies through this. If he can stay at the surface on his own, probably just leave him as he is. At least he has the plant if he wants it.

And you're welcome. :)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #18 
Microfish

Thanks for this information on Dropsy Pitluvs. I'm so happy to hear that Nixon was cured! What treatment(s) helped him?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #19 
Microfish

Thanks Pearl 2011. I'm sorry, what is AQ? That is great that it helped him. I'm glad he got his cornflour back:) I was thinking before I saw your next post that wow, I really need to do some more research because a cornflour must be a very fancy Betta tail or something!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #20 
Sakura8

AQ = aquarium salt. Not applicable in this case. Pearl may have meant epsom salt.