Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #1 
FishProxy

Question Betta fish opening and closing mouth !!!

Sorry for posting so early again! But I just noticed my fish keeps opening and closing his mouth. I bought him yesterday. He swims around a lot and sometimes settles on the gravel. He's constantly flaring at his own reflection.
It doesn't look like he's gasping for air. But it's a subtle and constant movement of the mouth. As of now, I've fed him 2 pellets and a freeze-dried bloodworm.
Please help !!
FishProxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

You just got this fish yesterday? My newest fish did something like this, too. After I fed him his first meal he kept yawning and obviously trying to flush something from his gills. In his cup there was a lot of debris on the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised if his gills had a lot of mucus or some other irritation.

Since he is constantly flaring, it could be that he's breathing heavily from all of the exercise.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #3 
Goldie2nd

Wow you earn something new everyday this is great stuff to know before I get myself a new Betta. Just cured my little guy from the brink of death. But want to get two more little guys but not from Walmart I'm sorry for them but I already saved one from there.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

Alot of us on the forum are boycotting walmart selling bettas, you should think abut it, just a suggestion. They will be very unealthy and have poor immune systems if you get them from big chain stores. Walmart is the worst offender.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #5 
FishProxy

Thanks for the information Koi ! Haha I guess he would be exhausted from flaring so much xD I'll see if he improves the next few days.
FishProxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

Alot of my fish seem to be "breathing" through their mouths after excercising. Even the non-bettas.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Another thing to consider is if he's doing this right after you feed him, he could still be trying to finish the pellet. I have two females in QT right now who are rather small but are eating the pellets like piglets. The littlest will continue to open & close her mouth for a while after sucking in the pellet as if it was just slightly too big, when I look at her straight on I can see the pellet.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #8 
Goldie2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Alot of us on the forum are boycotting walmart selling bettas, you should think abut it, just a suggestion. They will be very unealthy and have poor immune systems if you get them from big chain stores. Walmart is the worst offender.
I will sing me up! Because I think the fish nee better care than this!
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, mouth, open and closing