Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #1 
Anne Dyari

Best filter for 10g w/plants?

This is my first serious aquarium; all my previous bettas have been kept in little bowls and averaged 2 yr lifespans. I just recently got a beautiful blue and yellow doubletail and wanted a nice large tank, as well as trying out some aquatic plants.

Right now my betta is in a small 1L plastic container while I get the parts together for the new tank. I am now looking at filters, something with low current due to bettas preffering still water, and something I could use with plants for a 10 gallon tank.

I also am wondering if there is anything I should know spefically about filters and aquarium plants; I plan to get some anubias plants and java moss to start off, later maybe adding duckweed, a sunken log and (maybe) dwarf hairgrass.

Last edited by Anne Dyari; 08-23-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Anne Dyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

These are my filters of choice for bettas: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3954
You will need an airpump.
They do zero damage to their fins which is why I love them and have a good surface area for bacteria growth.
Don't buy the one rated for 10 gallons, always go a little higer on filters. The 15 or 25 gallon one would be perfect for a ten.
I use one rated for 30 gallons in a 14 gallon tank because I like the large double sponges.
To clean these filters, I just place in the old water and squeeze once or twice.
With some filters/plants you have to worry about them being sucked up by the filter (just like the fish) but these won't give you that problem.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #3 
Aus

^+1. love the sponge filters. Except they're noisy if you don't reduce the flow from the pump a bit with a very cheap air-line valve. Costs about $2.00.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #4 
gn3ranger

another +1^

yes sponge filters are very good I got rid of my quiet flow for sponge filter and have been having no regrets what so ever.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #5 
Anne Dyari

Thank you! :D
Anne Dyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #6 
copperarabian

In my 10g I use a 20g internal filter. I have a divided tank the filter gets it's own section. I use to use the same filter in my heavily planted 17g and had no problems with the plants.

Last edited by copperarabian; 08-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gal, aquatic, filter, gallon, plant