Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

dividing 5 gals..is that enough space?

I kinda have it made...A couple yrs ago i bought 2 2.5 gal tanks for my friends sick betta i adopted and for my own betta...i then bought two 5.5 gallon tanks right after because i didnt like not having a filter and i felt to 2.5 was just too small to run a filter happily...so now i have 2 2.5's and 2 5.5 gals, initially i have the perfect amount of tanks! plus moonie is in a dif tank all together, he has his own 6.6 gal. So I would like to divide my 2 5.5 gals! that gives me 4 homes! But that would give the fish 2.5 gals each...is that enough room? I plan on raising a fry soon and that will take one of the 2.5's. Then I will have one 2.5 left empty as my emergency tank...this is going to be betta heaven...i just want to be sure a divided 5.5 gal will be okay? Thank you!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

with adequate filtration and water changes (and fish with the right personalities) it could work, just make sure to disguise the divider so they're not constantly seeing each other. also remember, in such a small space, if one fish gets sick, the possibility of the other catching it is greatly increased. i wouldn't do it personally, but it's far from an inadequate home for them.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #3 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
I kinda have it made...A couple yrs ago i bought 2 2.5 gal tanks for my friends sick betta i adopted and for my own betta...i then bought two 5.5 gallon tanks right after because i didnt like not having a filter and i felt to 2.5 was just too small to run a filter happily...so now i have 2 2.5's and 2 5.5 gals, initially i have the perfect amount of tanks! plus moonie is in a dif tank all together, he has his own 6.6 gal. So I would like to divide my 2 5.5 gals! that gives me 4 homes! But that would give the fish 2.5 gals each...is that enough room? I plan on raising a fry soon and that will take one of the 2.5's. Then I will have one 2.5 left empty as my emergency tank...this is going to be betta heaven...i just want to be sure a divided 5.5 gal will be okay? Thank you!
Its really a matter of opinion as well as the indivual bettas' preferences. People have many different opinions on how much space is enough. I say 2 gallons or more is enough. But it also depends on the betta's preferences. For exampe, I used to use 1 gallon tanks. Some of the bettas that lived in these tanks were active and happy and made nice bubble nests, others that I put in these tanks were sluggish or over-active and never blew nests, and seemed unhappy. But once I put them in a 2 gallon or more, they acted like the others, happy and healthy.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #4 
Goldie2nd

I agree with Pixiliator it all depend on the fish really.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote