Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by av3rag3 View Post
How much water would I be changing? 50%?
Great fish! How big is the tank you have him in? This will help determine how many/often water changes you need to do.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #12 
av3rag3

2.5 gallon mini bow from Aqueon.
av3rag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #13 
Aus

What a nice little fish. :) Lovely colouring, and I dare say it'll only improve now he's in better conditions. How's he adjusting to the new temperature and water?

You might want to do a little salt treatment on him for those fin issues. All the how-to's are in the sticky threads above the diseases forum if you;re nor familiar with it, it's pretty easy - just use aquarium or kosher salt, not table salt!

Also, that plant looks like it just may tear his fins up a bit. I'd toss it, as plastic plants are great at causing injury to delicate HM fins- and see about some silk plants if you don't have the right light for live ones. They're soft and your fish will love to hide in them.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #14 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by av3rag3 View Post
2.5 gallon mini bow from Aqueon.
Filter or not? I have a 2.5g also, and do one 50% on Wed. and 100% on Saturdays. I also use a vacuum on my 50% change days. If you are going to do treatment with AQ salt for fin rot then your changes may have to be more, but I'm not sure. There are quite a few much more experienced betta keepers on this site who can help you with that.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #15 
fleetfish

He's really lovely! The girl in my avatar, Brunhilda (RIP) was the same colour. :)

His colour is called "chocolate". Sometimes chocolates have a black band around their tail. It's not always fin rot - just part of their colour. To me he looks healthy and active, so I wouldn't use salt or treat for rot unless he really needs it. Fin rot can be nasty stuff - watch out for jagged, blackening edges that progress over time, pinholes, and bleeding. If he has any of these signs, then it's time to treat. But you know, it's better to be safe than sorry. To me he looks like he's healing well and on his way to regaining his tail.

Last edited by fleetfish; 08-22-2012 at 08:24 PM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #16 
Aus

^ This is what I love about this forum, I learn something new every day! Cheers for that info on the chocolates!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #17 
MistersMom

best thing for the little guy, is a tubber ware container, with a heater, no decor, except something he can sit in or on, and 100% water changes every day, with 1 tbl spoon of AQ salt per gallon i think? idk, Aus would know...until the rot is gone and the fin growth is noticeable, he;s gorgeous though, good luck with him, im happy he got a good home...

Last edited by MistersMom; 08-22-2012 at 09:01 PM.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #18 
Numithebetta

Unique coloring! Very pretty!
Numithebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #19 
rosy delta

He looks a lot like the betta I got from petco. Mine is beginning to get a lot of blue in the body and some on the fins.
Attached Images

rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #20 
av3rag3

Thank you all for helpful tips for my betta. The mini does come with a filter, but I'm trying ways to baffle it because of the current it's pushing out is too powerful for Tea. Having that being said, how would water changes be affected by having a filter? Same 50% or less?

I plan on making a stop to Michael's and pick up some silk plants and boil them in a pot later on.
av3rag3 is offline   Reply With Quote