Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 
Seki

Angry Rude Petstore Employees!

I'm looking for a new heater for my 2.5 gallon. So I was calling a pet supply store to see what they had in stock. The answer I get? "You can't put a heater in a plastic tank." I was a little shocked by the abrupt answer, but I explained that I actually already had a heater in there, I was just looking to replace it with an adjustable one. She snapped at me again that I couldn't put a heater in a plastic tank. I was getting a little frustrated, so I just asked her which heaters she had in stock and she once again snapped at me that I couldn't use a heater in a plastic tank. Entirely frustrated, I simply said thank you and hung up the phone.

I have never been spoken to so rudely when calling a pet store like that! I have had a heater in my acrylic tank for a month and a half and NOTHING has melted. The worst that has happened are small spikes in temperature because the heater is unreliable, but nothing near hot enough to MELT PLASTIC. That the girl snapped at me several times and refused to even tell me what they had in stock is absolutely absurd!

Anyone else had bad experiences with pet store employees?
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

i hate this one the most..... "ARE YOU CRAZY?!!? you cant put a betta fish in a big tank!!! itll freak out and die!" -_-

i really wish they would hire more people who knew what they were doing. im lucky enough to have one employee at my local petsmart who knows something about and breeds bettas, even though he works only on the weekends, at least some people are getting some correct information...

and that whoever you called dosent deserve to work there. there are many more unemployed people out there who would be willing to answer a customers simple question. and ive got a heater made for a 55-100 gallon tank in a 10 gallon, and ive used it to heat a plastic bucket for water changes. never had a problem.

Last edited by cjconcepcion; 08-22-2012 at 12:30 PM.
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #3 
deso

Ridiculous. Sorry to hear that. You should have gotten the girl's name and reported her to the manager. I haven't had bad experiences so far with pet store employees, other than being told the usual mis-information about bettas, but as a teenager I had a rather unpleasant run-in with a racist bus driver in the States. I reported him to his company head and he was promptly fired, which shows you that some companies will take action if confronted with a problem employee.

And no heater can melt a plastic/acrylic tank. I've let boiling water sit in acrylic tanks to sterilise them, and even then they haven't melted.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 
Seki

Thanks guys. I knew a heater wouldn't melt a plastic tank... I mean... if it got hot enough to melt the tank, pretty sure the fish would be dead... just saying... And like you, deso, I have sterilized this tank with boiling water. Shockingly, NOTHING happened. This is my shocked face. -_-

Wow, that's really sucky about the bus driver, deso! I'm glad he was fired, that's absurd.
cjconcepcion, I've heard that one before! When I was buying my 5.5 gallon, a lady asked me what I was getting it for (not an employee, just another customer). I am always happy to meet another fish geek, so I excitedly explained my plans for the tank (zen theme, male betta, possibly planted). She looked at me like I was an idiot. She said (and I quote) "Why would you waste 5 gallons on ONE fish?" I just smiled at her and said I was just a fish geek like that. Ohhhh, people.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #5 
xShainax

All my aquariums except 2 are plastic, I use heaters just fine
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #6 
tpocicat

The storage tubs I use to keep my jars warm are plastic, never had one melt from a heater...rediculous.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have heaters in my critter keepers and never had a problem.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote