Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #1 
Goldie2nd

I'm cycling my tank with fish food is this alright?

Ok I started cycling my tank yesterday today is day 2 for how long should in cycle it with fish food witht eh Veggie waffers us those are easy to scoop aup after a few hours. so with two or three should be good at a time right?
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

time varies with a cycle.depending on the temp of the water,size of tank.etc...i have a 10 gallon.temp set at 78 F it took almost 4 weeks.i did it with live fish..the more media u have the better.like gravel,decor,plants,things like that..but on average it can take about 6 weeks.

u will need a water tester kit,i recommend API freshwater master test kit..

u will need to check ammonia,nitrate,nitrite,ph....adding fish food will keep ammonia in it.as long as you are adding fish food the cycle will continue.but as to when it ends you wont really know unless you have the test kit.if you dont have a test kit.and cant get one.id let it run for 6 weeks..

you can also take it to a local pet store and they will check your water for free most likely.

keep adding food to it everyday as if you are actually feeding fish.so feed your pretend fish and let the tank cycle :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #3 
Goldie2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
time varies with a cycle.depending on the temp of the water,size of tank.etc...i have a 10 gallon.temp set at 78 F it took almost 4 weeks.i did it with live fish..the more media u have the better.like gravel,decor,plants,things like that..but on average it can take about 6 weeks.

u will need a water tester kit,i recommend API freshwater master test kit..

u will need to check ammonia,nitrate,nitrite,ph....adding fish food will keep ammonia in it.as long as you are adding fish food the cycle will continue.but as to when it ends you wont really know unless you have the test kit.if you dont have a test kit.and cant get one.id let it run for 6 weeks..

you can also take it to a local pet store and they will check your water for free most likely.

keep adding food to it everyday as if you are actually feeding fish.so feed your pretend fish and let the tank cycle :)
Thanks this helps a lot awesome thank you!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

no problem..any more questions about cycling let me know.or of course just post again :)
Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

oh i almost forgot to mention.if you havent seen it already.here is a thread that explains more about the cycle and different ways you can do it and how to know if it is done..

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

you can also reply back here with any questions or send me a message on here.im usually on everyday.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #6 
Goldie2nd

Great well i do two water changes a day since yesterday and I do it with the waffers since those are easier to clean out real quick after an hour or two.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 
prodrumernate

dont do water changes..since you dont have fish in it you dont have to worry about it.even with my tank.some1 suggested not to do water changes even though i had fish in them.only if my ammonia levels got to a certain point.but its why i also used hardy fish.

its better to leave the water and everything in there to help with the cycle.once i stopped changing my water.the cycle really started going faster.when removed water you are removing ammonia thats in it causing the cycle to take long etc..

i would leave the water in there.once the cycle is complete.change about 80% of the water to lower the nitrates and clean out anything.but only do that rite when you are about to add fish.

until you put fish in it.keep putting fish food to feed the beneficial bacteria(BB) which is what kills ammonia and nitrite.

when the cycle is done.your ammonia and nitrite will be at 0.then you will be left with nitrate.anything above 40ppm nitrate is not good for fish.the way we lower it is to do water changes.thats why in a cycled tank you dont have to change the water very softed.live plants help lower nitrates.mine is set so i pretty much dont have to do a water change.i only do it to clean out old food and fish waste to keep my tank looking clean.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
Goldie2nd

Hmm cool ok great! Will keep that n mind thank you so much!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #9 
prodrumernate

no problem..just passing on the info i was told,done and looked up...ive lost several bettas because i didnt cycle properly and hate for u to loose any as well :)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #10 
Goldie2nd

Thanks soo much :)