Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 
britishbetta

Exclamation Ammonia burn from inhaling waste

Long story short, Shigeru had diarrhea and he inhaled it. I'm very concerned he's not flushing the waste out of his gills and that it's continuing to bother him. How long should I have him on the AQ salt treatment? Should I be doing 100% + salt water changes? Is there anything else I can use to clean out his gills?

What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 2 pellets each time.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? one 50% + one 100% a week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat, and I've been adding AQ Salt for the past day.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: 7.2
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His gills flare out symmetrically and don't seem to close completely.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's been a bit more sluggish than usual, but he's still a little pig.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've added 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon + Stress coat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's always had a red patch that has never seem to have gone away and it occassionally changes size. I have no idea what it is. He's also gotten swim bladder disorder - he can no longer float on his own and spends his days swimming from leaf to leaf.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's old enough to be sold, so probably 7 months plus.
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #2 
Orito

I would grab a cheap bowl that you don't mind getting stained, and pick up some Methylene Blue. It's supposed to help with ammonia burns, internal and external. Treat as directed.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #3 
Aahnay

Perhaps remove some water so its not too far to swim for air, but will have to replace sooner. Do you fast him once a week?
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Are you sure it was diarrhea? And are you sure he inhaled it? Can you describe his syptoms? Before trying any meds, I'd wait and see how he does on salt. You can use AQ salt for up to 14 days but in a 3 gal, you don't need to do 100% every day. Just be sure, when you do water changes, that you keep track of how much water you take out so you know how much salt to put back in. Salt doesn't evaporate so if you add too much, it becomes toxic. If you take out, say, 50%, put back in 50% salt. So that would be 1.5 tsps. It doesn't have to be exact but always err on the lower side.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia burn, aquarium salt