Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

Novermber 23, 2012: a time to act against Wal-Mart

wal-mart has abused and killed too many bettas to count, and has repeatedly ignored those of us who speak out against the slaughter. they do not care about our words, they care only about money. this year, we will change that. on Black Friday, we need to get everyone we know who is sympathetic to the cause to show up, carry signs, pass out literature, and let the customers whose money the company values so much know just what their money is doing. tell your friends, spread the word on facebook, do whatever it takes to bring in a crowd at your city or town's wal-mart, because if we can make even a small dent in their profits on their most valuable day of retail sales for the entire year, THEN they may have to listen.

some basic guidelines from a veteran protestor:

1) KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. every location has different laws regarding assembly and "loitering", look yours up and make sure you're legally safe. this action will do no good if our people are arrested before the first customer shows up.

2) BE PREPARED. it will be the end of November, and most places will be fairly chilly. dress warmly, carry a thermos of hot soup, and leave young children with a trusted sitter or guardian. we all want to help, but frostbite and hypothermia are no laughing matter.

3) BE DIRECT. if you carry a sign or sing a chant, keep it simple and easy to remember. a few big, bold words will do a lot more good than a dictionary page on a picket pole.

4) BE RESPECTFUL. to anyone, and everyone. no matter who they are, keep a positive demeanor. even the Big Blue's employees are not necessarily the "enemy." i know from personal experience that many of them are just as disgusted by the company, but are forced to work there to support their families. a strong message and a smile will get you a lot further than a strong message alone.

5) CARRY LITERATURE. whether it's pamphlets about proper betta care, hand-made flyers giving more detailed descriptions of wal-mart's abuse, or simply a card with a URL to get more information, it's all helpful. getting people angry is just the first step, the next step is to get them informed.

beyond this, just use common sense. we're trying to end an injustice, not wind up in a jail cell. i know some of you are willing to go that far to help even one betta, but your fellow betta lovers might not be, and police are very quick to assign "guilt by association" at protest actions. we want to come out, spread the word, and make a few people think. let's show wal-mart that we mean business, and when we mean business, they LOSE business!

Last edited by homegrown terror; 08-22-2012 at 09:49 PM.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 
Goldie2nd

Um I shall post this on My FB if anything but I myself won;t do this I don;t have the guts.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie2nd View Post
Um I shall post this on My FB if anything but I myself won;t do this I don;t have the guts.
that's okay, i used to be skittish about protesting myself. getting the word out is still greatly appreciated.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #4 
Goldie2nd

Just saved it will post it tomorow. Hopefully it will help somehow.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #5 
Nutt007

Protesting in front of Walmart seems pathetic imo. As much as I hate their fish care, to other shoppers we'll look like a bunch of crazy PETA people. I will contribute however by possibly dropping care sheets at the betta section. :P
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #6 
Goldie2nd

Yeah I agree me in just spreading the wrd f=of not buy fish there period nothing else with people i know that's it.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #7 
Nutt007

Yeah I think I will write up a care sheet tonight with basic info and some links including BettaTalk and this site. Thoughts?
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #8 
Goldie2nd

Yeah why not seems ok
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #9 
Junglist

I like this protest but don't get me wrong but representing this website or other sites for this protest is not a great idea cause it will lead the administrator for this site and other sites of getting sued

Remember freedom of speech is only for the spoken word, electronic media is not covered!

Google the Petswharehouse case and read it.
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #10 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist View Post
I like this protest but don't get me wrong but representing this website or other sites for this protest is not a great idea cause it will lead the administrator for this site and other sites of getting sued

Remember freedom of speech is only for the spoken word, electronic media is not covered!

Google the Petswharehouse case and read it.
It's actually against bettafish.com's rules. The mods will be here soon to back me up on this.

On Black Friday all people care about is the almighty deal. They won't give a flying crap about bettas. I think this is a bad idea and possibly dangerous. People are CRAZY on Black Friday!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abuse, direct action, protest, wal-mart, walmart