Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #21 
Goldie2nd

Mademyself a Facebook Betta Fish Awereness Day fallower :)
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #22 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
I do not think this is smart to do nor would it be effective.

Here is a list of things that I can imagine going wrong:

1. Black Friday can be dangerous if not deadly. It is a day when the rich and poor alike are willing to flood into stores and fight each other in order to save as much money as possible on holiday gifts. Stores hype the day up with deals, which lead to many camping outside the store. These people will be grumpy, maybe even hostile, if something disrupts their plans. Blocking people on Black Friday from entering Walmart, one of the largest retailers, is thus dangerous for the shoppers and the protesters.

2. It won't be effective. As stated above, people are concerned only of sales. They do not want to be hundered or bothered. Most people go into Walmart knowing what sales to hunt for and how to get there the quickest. A protest outside the store, on a day when most people will not think of others let alone animals, will merely be protesting to deaf ears. In addition, this would not happen at just one Walmart. It may just be a few users and supporters at a handful of Walmarts, not being heard and wasting their time and safety.

3. It can be potentially illegal. Hindering shoppers on Black Friday or taking up unnecessary space in front of the store during such high congestion may be illegal if not against fire codes. Safety is nothing to risk and on a holiday where people have literally trampled others to death and then blamed Walmart for not doing enough and causing the hype, it would more than likely be addressed by security and make security's life harder on a day already so stressful.

Educating people is the best way to go to initiate change. Write corporate headquarters. Create a petition on change.org. Talk to local stores' managers for change. There are many more safer, effective, ways to alter the way Walmart deals with its live animals. I do not believe a store such as Walmart should sell living creatures but I do believe in doing positive, effective, action rather than drawing negative attention to a concern.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #23 
rosy delta

on a different note, I have to compliment Junglist on the absolutely beautiful fish on aquabid!
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #24 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know about other petstores but Petsmart has it's own caresheet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

protesting wont do much... but positive wducationfor those who'll listen might :O
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #26 
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosy delta View Post
on a different note, I have to compliment Junglist on the absolutely beautiful fish on aquabid!
Thank you! I will be posting more fish soon once I get my SLR back from the shop but for now I have some 15g Atison Betta Pro up listed if anyone is looking for some.
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #27 
Aus

I'm going to be the contrary one and devil's avocado all at once and say I think this is a great idea.

The OP made no reference to representing this website anywhere, and also made it quite clear that hindering doorways, etc, is illegal, and so on. I think they have acted quite responsibly, really, in the way they've put this across.

I think it's a good day to get attention for the plight of the betta. The OP was not suggesting outrageous or aggressive behaviour - if you actually read the post, they are stating the exact opposite!

I too am a veteran protester, and in the past have actually chained myself to things (back in the days when we had more civil liberties/guts/a voice) including trees and a train station to try to get people to become more aware of wrongness occurring in their community. I've also done peaceful sit-ins, park gatherings and flag burnings (I am not recommending anyone do that, ofc - just things I did in my wild youth..).

In my experience, protest does make a difference - but only if it's respectful and peaceful.

That's why PETA are pooh-poohed as raving loonies (aside from the fact that a good number of them actually are raving loonies in an organisation that kills animals to make its point, yeesh) - those guys go for shock/anger as a platform that gets people offside from the get-go.

Anyhow, I don't see anything irresponsible or disrespectful going on here at all. I hope those who do have the courage to protest peacefully at Walmart have a great and very positive day and come home with a smile.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #28 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post

Anyhow, I don't see anything irresponsible or disrespectful going on here at all. I hope those who do have the courage to protest peacefully at Walmart have a great and very positive day and come home with a smile.
Are you familiar with "Black Friday"?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #29 
BettaBaited

Lol. Previous posters were right- we are not going to get ANY attention on Black Friday.
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #30 
SnowySurface

I agree with so many people who don't agree with each other. lol

Sivan is right. People do not care about each other during Black Friday. People will go through you to get into the store so they can get to the deals first since everything is limited quantities. The choice of day does make this idea for a protest extremely dangerous and ineffective. The majority of people who are there are on the verge of foaming at the mouth over deals and do not care about humans much less fish. It would not surprise me if security had a protestor arrested for the sake of the protestor's safety.

Aus is also right. The original idea did not involve naming names. It did not involve promoting this forum or any other website/forum on signs. If you go back and look at the very first post, homegrown terror’s outline on how to do this safely is accurate. But based on many of the replies, some commenter’s are putting their own ideas into the mix and forgetting that homegrown’s tips are safety guidelines. It is possible to protest on Black Friday and go home alive with a smile on your face, but you have to keep all 5 of homegrown’s tips in your mind while you are there. In fact I would like to add another tip.

6) BE AWARE of the CROWD’S MOOD: If you can not sense when something is about to go down, do not go. If you do go to a Walmart near you anyway, bring a friend who can tell when you’ve “out lived your welcome” so you know when to leave. If no one is receptive and you just can’t get your voice herd, then go home. The first step about a protest is to get people mad. But you want to get people mad at the same thing you are mad at. You don’t want to get the people mad at you. XD

I suggested picking a different day because it's impossible for us all to be together at the same Walmart at the same time during such a busy holiday. It's great that this can be organized online, but there can be no organization at each ground zero. It does not seem like a lot of people responding to this thread have Aus's level of experience and this idea could end badly for beginner protestors left to their own wits. Since the collection of people at Walmart on Black Friday are so varied that approaching any of them is like rolling a pair of die and hoping you don't get snake eyes, stay home on Black Friday unless you can read people like a book and have a good sense of your environment’s atmosphere. Every protestor has to start somewhere, but Black Friday isn’t the best spring board into activism, imo.

I repeat (again XD). This idea is not good for beginners because it is dangerous like Savin said. This idea is good for seasoned protestors because it is possible to do safely if you know what you are doing like Aus. Do not make this idea your first protest since you may be alone at your Walmart. I'm not touching this idea with a ten-foot pole, and this would be my fifth protest if I participated (I tended to be behind the scenes in my "wild" days. lol). As an organizer I would never pick Black Friday for a day to protest as individuals at separate Walmart for anyone other than EXTREMELY experienced protestors. A group would be a different story. But not solo.

My first response to this thread was so short because I didn’t feel like writing a novel. But I decided to post my full opinion on the date chosen for this protest so no one gets hurt. Call me a pessimist if you want, but you can't call me dead. -_-
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abuse, direct action, protest, wal-mart, walmart