Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #31 
Goldie2nd

Well I would not protest but I like the plamphelt Idea to pass out to friends and maybe portest softly on Facebook. Just like don;t buy fish from walmart they are mstly dead. stuff like that and eductae people is the best way really. But noo Black friday is horrible. and protesting alone is wrots on any day.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #32 
bettasusa

protesting is simple, just STOP BUYING them, or "RESCUING" them from these stores. Eventually they will get the hint. Its just to sad to see that no so many people on here complain about the bettas being mistreated but we are the one's who help fuel the fire by bringing one home from chain stores like petco, petsmart, walmart. When you Rescue one, all your doing is emptying that container and its getting filled up again next shipment, and possibly even more being brought to the stores because of "possible" sales. All I have to say about that Putting the forum in the direct line of attack is indeed no way to go and Black Friday? Who is going to care about Bettas on Black Friday? People only worried about TVs, Electronics and Super "Sale" items.
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #33 
bettasusa

To add, support your forum members and local and even international breeders who offer quality bettas from time to time as a way to help from buying bettas from chain stores. I know it can be hard from buying supplies and food, especially frozen foods but its worth a shot.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #34 
Goldie2nd

good go Bettausa
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #35 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasusa View Post
protesting is simple, just STOP BUYING them, or "RESCUING" them from these stores. Eventually they will get the hint. Its just to sad to see that no so many people on here complain about the bettas being mistreated but we are the one's who help fuel the fire by bringing one home from chain stores like petco, petsmart, walmart. When you Rescue one, all your doing is emptying that container and its getting filled up again next shipment, and possibly even more being brought to the stores because of "possible" sales. All I have to say about that Putting the forum in the direct line of attack is indeed no way to go and Black Friday? Who is going to care about Bettas on Black Friday? People only worried about TVs, Electronics and Super "Sale" items.
+++1

Also try getting into schools and educating the youth coming up. That's what animal shelters do. Parents won't teach responsibility so the kids need to learn it from others. We have almost daily proof of that on this forum.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #36 
bettasusa

Its honestly the hardest thing to do, (to not continue the inhumane selling of bettas for instance), and I'll be the first to admit to you. I've gone into the store and would ONLY LOOKING for something for my dog and next thing you know, Im right there, where I don't want to be, knowing I shouldn't be. In front of tiny glass bowls where anywhere from 10-50 and sometimes even more! bettas are being held captive in an AIR CONDITIONED environment, and without hesitation ask one of the salespersons, "Please bag this guy, this guy, this guy, and this young lady up for me"....Then they go..."You know...." I say "I already know", with a Don't pi** me off look right now because I already am, and thats the end of it....but its not. They ring them up and I'm out the store wondering, why the heck did I do that? Thankfully the last one I purchased, which ended up getting me back into the hobby was pumpkin and since then I have been supporting US and International breeders, and working on my own lines myself. But I can totally agree, that Its so simple to just be able to walk in the store and get a betta for 3.99, end up finding a forum like this where people actually know what their talking about, and then begin to rant and rave about how bettas are kept at stores. Theres really only one way out and thats to not buy them period.

When we "rescue" a betta from the chain store we might as well ask the salesperson an exact details about when their shipments of live fish arrive so that we can come back to rescue another one at least once a week, because after all, they purchased that betta for maybe 0.75 cents at most, you purchased it for 4.99 plus tax, thus you paid for the 2 or 3 that died right next to it and also paid for the next 2 that will be arriving next week to replace them.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #37 
bettasusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
+++1

Also try getting into schools and educating the youth coming up. That's what animal shelters do. Parents won't teach responsibility so the kids need to learn it from others. We have almost daily proof of that on this forum.

++1, Parents go into pet stores because their kids want to go in alot of times. At least this was my experience when I was a little boy. We would go to walmart and my grandmother would totally try to avoid the fish section. I GRAVITATED to it. Next thing you know, Grandpa threw in a 30 Gallon complete setup in the cart while I had the salesperson frantically catching an assortment of goldfish to fill it up once we get home. Grandma, her hands over her fore-head, wondering what the heck did he do! Fish would have died by the next week and her, not grandpa would be buying me more fish for the tank next time around. And also let it be known those very old antique TV sets that my grandmother really wanted to put an arrangement of some sort for her own decorating the house, well home to fish! lol Memories! May God bless her resting soul.

Tags
abuse, direct action, protest, wal-mart, walmart