Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #1 
masterofdisguise

Crowntail and Veiltail?

What would the fry be if I spawned crowntail with a veiltail? And also if one betta has a white body with purpleish fins and one has redish fins and a whiteish/redish body what colors would the fry be?
masterofdisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #2 
buddhauser

I believe you would get a Combtail but, I am no expert lol I do have one though and was told by others here that it was a hybrid of a Crowntail and Veiltail.
buddhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #3 
masterofdisguise

Alright thank you do you have any ideas about the coloring?
masterofdisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #4 
buddhauser

I do not I am sorry... I have never bred before. Im sure someone on here will help you though. Everyone seems to be real knowledgeable, there are some sites with info on genetics and stuff. I think its best to know the history of the fish from what I understand... like parent colors and fin type to be sure what your going to get.
buddhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #5 
Pilot00

I love veiltails myself, but breeders harshly refer to them as genetic detritus, an opinion that angers me to say the least.

Veiltails been a mass produced commercial species (well all store bettas are but VTs more so) carry a plethora of genes and thats what annoys most ppl.
When breeding a VT you have only the vaguest idea of what the spawn will be colourwise. He might be red but you dont know what else he carries in him. He might have yellow in his genes and he just dint express it. BAM yellow tinted or marbling fry, who knows?

You can make an estimation but in the end you will be surprised. Most of them will turn VTs though.

Last edited by Pilot00; 08-23-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #6 
Fabian

Quote:
What would the fry be if I spawned crowntail with a veiltail? And also if one betta has a white body with purpleish fins and one has redish fins and a whiteish/redish body what colors would the fry be?
It will be usually combtail or vt since vt is dominant.The Whitish/redish colour you mean is a cambodian.Your fry colour would be white with red fins as red is more dominant.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
I love veiltails myself, but breeders harshly refer to them as genetic detritus, an opinion that angers me to say the least.

Veiltails been a mass produced commercial species (well all store bettas are but VTs more so) carry a plethora of genes and thats what annoys most ppl.
When breeding a VT you have only the vaguest idea of what the spawn will be colourwise. He might be red but you dont know what else he carries in him. He might have yellow in his genes and he just dint express it. BAM yellow tinted or marbling fry, who knows?

You can make an estimation but in the end you will be surprised. Most of them will turn VTs though.
Totally agree.
I love VTs, but theyre pretty much "mutts" in the breeding world.

It will be much harder to find homes for VTs, especially good homes.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #8 
RandyTheBettaFish

I really want to see how their fry would turn out...
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #9 
Joelouisvachon

I wouldn't suggest breeding that pair, since IBC doesn't accept VTs or random VT crosses, so the betta fish in all honesty would be petstore quality, and there are enough of those fish in the world already.
In saying so, I have no issues against VTs, (I own two) it's just that you shouldn't breed just for the sake of it, only if you have a good quality pair (not from a petstore!) and you are sincerly looking to improve the species:
otherwise it's basically just the idea of backyard breeding for quick cash, which makes no sense because betta fish breeding is a pricy hobby if you want to have a successful spawn.

I do not mean to offend anyone, but there are enough people going around breeding with no goal to improve the species whatsoever already.
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #10 
Mo

You would get VT with extended rays
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote