Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #1 
Survivor2013

how many?

So I have a betta in a five gallon. In a couple months I was planning on adding a few other fish/inverts. Well seeing as I can't find any fish that will be compatible with a betta and a five gallon. No big deal. I have decided to add a few ghost shrimp. The question is how many first shrimp should I add to a five gallon tank. I understand some bettas make them a meal plan. If so, I have an empty tank I can move them to.
Survivor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #2 
hd123

Hi Survivor2013,
I think a 5 gallon may be too small to be adding anything else to your set up. Im no expert though so someone else on here will probably jump in.
I started with an 8 gallon for my Betta and I added around 10 red cherry shrimp, which i think are petty similar to keep as ghost shrimp. I upgraded my tank to 23 gal recently, basically because the shrimp numbers had tripled and i wanted some other stuff in their. I had no problems with them getting on though, the shrimp are rapid and almost teleport when the betta shows some interest. Though I think this depends how chilled your betta is.
Hope this is of some help anyway,
cheers,
hd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #3 
Survivor2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd123 View Post
Hi Survivor2013,
I think a 5 gallon may be too small to be adding anything else to your set up. Im no expert though so someone else on here will probably jump in.
I started with an 8 gallon for my Betta and I added around 10 red cherry shrimp, which i think are petty similar to keep as ghost shrimp. I upgraded my tank to 23 gal recently, basically because the shrimp numbers had tripled and i wanted some other stuff in their. I had no problems with them getting on though, the shrimp are rapid and almost teleport when the betta shows some interest. Though I think this depends how chilled your betta is.
Hope this is of some help anyway,
cheers,
Ghost and cherry are very similar. I've been told that I can add 10 with a betta to a three gallon. I think that's completely outlandish even for a 5 gallon.Thank you for the reply.
Survivor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote