Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #1 
My Bubbles

1st Betta!!

Hello! I just bought my first Betta, so I'm kind of nervous that something is going to happen to him (his name is Bubbles!).....I think he has one scale coming off near his head...is that normal?? I bought the eBook "Betta Fish Care Made Easy".....and it says that periods of cloudiness is part of the "new-tank syndrome"....Mine is cloudy at the moment. Was yours cloudy too at the beginning? I would appreciate some advice...even though I got the eBook and did a lot of research, and now I actually have a Betta fish - I am freaking out! Well, not exactly freaking out just scared something's going to happen to him!

Bubbles is a royal blue half moon....he actually looks purplish sometimes:)!
Attached Images

My Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Welcome to the forum! Your Bubbles is beautiful! If he is just missing the one or two scales it is most likely from an injury during travels. Clean warm water and he should heal up no problem. There are many very informed people on this site, so you can find the answer to almost any question. I'm glad you joined us!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

helllloooooo australiannnnn where did you get such a beauty? all I saw in Australia were Cts and Vts and $30 halfmooms :P

my tanks has never been cloudy, but its usually a bactrial bloom...
unles u snapped the photo rigt after you added the water... or... you didnt wash the gravel thoroughly?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #4 
DiiQue

Did you just add the water to the tank? If so, then yes, the water can get cloudy until things settle. It should clear up within a day or two.

Just dont forget to do the correct amount of water changes and make sure the temp is in the correct range (76-80degrees) and your new friend should be a happy camper. Do you have a place for the lil guy to hide?
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #5 
My Bubbles

Ohh...okay thanks so much!! I just got him from a pet store 5 minutes from our place. It took me ages to pick one, because there were about 20 to pick from. No, it wasn't right after I added the water...hmmm....I mustn't have washed the gravel enough....I washed it three times under hot water though. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #6 
My Bubbles

It was still clear a good few hours after I put the water in....and when I woke up this morning it was a bit cloudy.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #7 
DiiQue

It might be a bacteria bloom then... Time for a water change as that stuff can kill fish in no time. If you can, buy a water test kit like the one from API so you can monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. I miss Australia!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #8 
My Bubbles

Okay thanks, I better hurry and do that....the only tester I have is for the pH level, so I'll have to get the water test kit for the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. The results for those three should be 0...is that right? Are you an Aussie?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #9 
My Bubbles

How quick does it kill a fish? Sorry, about all the questions:)!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #10 
My Bubbles

Yep...he does have a place to hide; I have got a few plants one side. The pictures were taken on the other side where there's nothing at the moment. Oh..I used tap water with water conditioner and beneficial bacteria in it.

Last edited by My Bubbles; 08-29-2012 at 12:23 AM.