Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Raising a fry?

So im researching raising a fry..unfortunately a lot of the things i read are about raising a batch from day 1 to a few months...it doesnt really help with raising a single fry purchased at petco. The petco fry appear to be about 5 or 6 week, no color yet, they also appear fairly healthy...Heres what I have and I would like to know what I have sounds right and what I might want to look into getting...

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with screen cover
I have one plant for the tank on its way in the mail
I am not placing gravel in the tank or any other decor asside from the one plant for now, since I will have to do so many water changes et.
Does this sound good?

I am purchasing a small light that I can clamp on the tank or lay across the lid like a small betta lamp
I am also looking into getting a diff heater...what kind of heater do you recommend? I generally buy small betta tank heaters, but in my experience they dont keep the heat over 75 or 78 on warm days...do i need something stonger or will that size be warmer in a smaller tank like the 2.5 gal? I guess i could test it out, but would rather know ahead of time so i dont waste time and money.
Also will freeze dried brine shrimp be okay?
How do you feed the fry the freeze dried brine shrimp?

This is all stuff im not really seeing on the sites with the fry info lol..everything seems to have basic info...like "feed brine shrimp" or "the temp needs to be 80" but nothing gets into the nitty gritty of it...

I will not have a filter in this tank until the fry reaches an appropriate age in which he will move to a larger tank anyways...the 2.5 will only be used to raise him. How old is a good age to switch to a larger tank? (I would like to know so I can get the other tank planted and ready for him way in advance).

Also how do I prepare the tank for the fry before I get him...again no info on this on the sites im finding...
with my adults I always add salt and conditioner before adding the fish and always when i do water changes...keeps my bettas nice and healthy.
would I do the same with the fry?

This is going to be a great deal of work and im hoping a great deal of fun!

Hopefully its not too many questions...let me some them up a little so you dont have go back to all the q's in the paragraphs lol
__________________________________________________ __________
What I have (based on the idea that the fry im getting is between 5 or 6 weeks estimated)

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with screen cover
I have one plant for the tank on its way in the mail
(I am not placing gravel in the tank or any other decor asside from the one plant for now, since I will have to do so many water changes et.)
Does this sound good?

What type of heater to invest in?
Will a standard small betta heater work?
Can I feed freeze dried brine shrimp?
If so, how?
Is there anything else I should feed?
How old before switching to larger tank?
Do I add salt and water conditioner before adding the fry like I would with adult?
If not is there a different way to go about preparing the tank I should know about for a fry?

Thats all I can think of for now..im getting the tank ready this week so any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Any other thoughts and advice welcome!
Thank you
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #2 
tpocicat

A small adjustable heater would be best. I've used the small betta heater and for a small tank, it works well. I don't recommend freeze dried anything, buy frozen if you can't get live food. I would wait until they fry is almost grown before switching to a larger tank. I've never used salt in my tanks unless they are sick.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote