Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: How many fish tanks do you have set up right now?
1 - My one and only. 8 16.67%
2 - Just a couple for me. 6 12.50%
3 - I like variety. 6 12.50%
4 - It's not too many! 5 10.42%
5 - My friends think I'm strange ;) 11 22.92%
6 - I swear I have no idea how it happened! 3 6.25%
7 - At this point, one more won't hurt. 2 4.17%
8 - I might have an addiction.... 2 4.17%
9 - My family is worried about me 2 4.17%
10 or more - They call me the Crazy Fish Lady (or Guy)! 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 
MollyJean

Wink The joys of multiple fish tanks!

So I just realized I have 11 fish tanks. Alright.. 10, one is split, LOL. But still.. it's dawned on me that a lot of my time goes to taking care of my fish.. of course this is nothing new, I love taking care of my animals, I would rather spend time with them then people most days!

There are a few joys that come with so many fish.. like walking into almost any room in my house and being greeted by a cute grumpy fish smile and a wiggling butt, like checking on my boys and finding a new bubble nest. And I love checking plants and seeing how much they've grown. My favorite thing is water tests.. I'll walk around the house and test all the tanks and it's so great to find every test in range and know all my fish are comfortable.

Of course there are downsides.. A lot of money has gone into my tanks, and if I wasn't such a thrifty woman it would be more then I could handle.. thankfully I'm good at finding deals and getting free tanks, lol! Water changes and filter maintenance are very time consuming. :( When my back wasn't screaming in pain, I loved doing water changes. It's so much fun to see which fish like swimming into the current and which avoid it. And there is nothing in the world like a topped off tank! Of course, I have to get people to help me now, I can't haul that 5 gallon bucket around anymore.

And the babies! Breeding isn't for everyone, but I've found it is incredibly calming to watch all my little baby betta swimming around in their tank, looking for food. They are the cutest things and I can't wait til they're older and their little personalities start showing.

Now there has never been a point in my life I didn't have some kind of pet. Cats, dogs, birds, lizards, snakes, rats, mice... on and on.. but none of them are quite as rewarding as fish. Though.. no one tell my cats that, we'll have some problems!

What are your favorite parts of having fish? Even if it's one tank!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 
tpocicat

I have 8 tanks, but that doesn't count the jars I keep my growing betta fry in.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #3 
lelei

This is an interesting thread..i am glad it came up..I am half way to crazy!!! I started withone..and eever since I am taking in rescues it has increased to 5 and I am enjoying everything that comes with taking care vof my babies..I love to spoil them with new plants or decor..i love to take pix..and videos..of them share their remarkable rescue stories..They have alk become my pride and joy!! &I cannot wait to get my girls in a nice big tank they are curently in Hospital tanks..but very readyvto go into perm homes..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #4 
Kelly0727

I have 7 tanks and planning to get more in the future! My favorite part of having fish is the interaction I get from them. But I don't only have bettas. I have bigger fish that likes to munch on small minnows I catch down at my lake and earthworms.. They will sometimes let me pet them when its time for a water change!

I will be getting more tanks for the 10 fry I am raising too :) Although my family isnt really fish people, they have grown attached to the fry since they decided to hatch a bit early and hatch the day we put my dog down.. so its kind of our attachment.

I cant really haul a 5 gallon buckets myself due to back problems.. but I love doing water changes too so I have smaller buckets and I just go back and forth for around an hour. If im in a rush I will put the 5 gallon on my rolling chair and roll it from the kitchen to my room and make train noises XD Just to add a little fun into it.

AND my boyfriend and I are also planning to get a 180 gallon or bigger fish tank so we can have a fire track eel! Mostly I will be the one caring for it, boyfriend just wants to play with the eel lol! But that isn't until the far far future.

I have a fish problem and I'm not ashamed to admit it XD
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 
lelei

Oh yea my S/O thinks I am nuts, crazy..but he is not supportive, and does not understand betta's ..he wants them all in the same tank, if HE were to have fish..he would not choose a fish that has to go solo..lol..too bad for him, this is my passion, and my joy..so he sees all these different tanks..oh well, I love it..he is missing out on so much..but he does to watch them flare..hahaha never knew they did that..so ya I am educating him..but he still thinks I am nuts..
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 
MollyJean

Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

5 is a popular number, isn't it? Running 130 gallons of water. Dx
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #8 
MollyJean

Yeah, I think a lot of people hit that 5 mark and decide they have to stop. Those are the smart ones, lol!

Speaking of gallons.. I'm at.. um.. *counts* 100 gallons.. give or take. 120 when I move the babies into a larger growout tank.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #9 
lelei

I have..2-5's, 1-3 and 2-1.75 hospital, going on another 5 or 2-3's..17-20 for me..not much..hahaha
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #10 
BettaBaited

Ooops. :P We were counting our one gallons? Well then... I guess I'm at "10 or more" lol
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote