Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #1 
malonlonlon

Angry My Betta is approaching his death bed.

I have no idea what to do.
If I can save this Betta than it will restore my faith, but every single one I have dies and I can never save it.

He is in a 10 gallon tank with a filter and the water is at 80.

He was doing great, and then I noticed about a week or two ago his gill on the front right side is swollen and white looking, and he has slight popeye on the left eye. He has been lethargic and has been hanging out at the bottom of the tank for the past 2 days. He is breathing heavy and when he goes us for air it seems like he is choking on it.
I've put Epsom Salt in there, but there seem to be no change.
Am I supposed to take out the filter when I put the salt in? And am I supposed to dissolve it smaller some how before putting it in?

My last big water change was a month ago, and I've been changing out 25% every two weeks. Even though I'm not sure if it's doing more harm than good.

I have no clue.
Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note, there is a Pleco in there with him, and he is fine.

I've been working on a picture for you guys, but it's very hard.
malonlonlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:37 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Copper based medicine might help also lowering the water level will make surfacing easier high protein food might help and so sorry about your Betta hopefully he will recover. A 25 percent Daily would be better so the spores of the disease do not have a chance to colonize and clean water helps recoveries.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:42 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

nooooooo
no copper based medicine should be applied in his fragile state.
Try Maracyn 1&2 or Furan 2.
is he eating? what color is his excrement?

Btw, are you going to move your pleco to a bigger tank in the future? those thins gets monstrously big.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #4 
MollyJean

Please don't go to medications before trying something less evasive.

Answer everything on this list as best you can, please?

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Is your tank cycled?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Epsom salt is not going to do anything to help, in fact it might hurt him if you leave him in it too long, so take him out ASAP, place him in a small quarantine tank with clean, dechlorinated water. If you want to help with the inflammation, use aquarium salt. It is not the same as Epsom salt. All salt needs to be dissolved before placed in the water. I tend to put some in a microwave safe bowl, add a little water, microwave til the water is hot then stir the mix til the salt is totally dissolved. Wait til it's cooled, then add it to his quarantine tank (not the 10 gallon).

You should clean his 10 gallon tank up and do a large water change, 75%, to get rid of the salt. If you haven't cycled yet, just clean the whole tank and start over.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

@MollyJean - I was thinking to cut straight to the anti biotics before the infection spreads. It seems like this fish ready has a gill infection, popeye and a swollen body.
If it were something simpler, it would be better to use just salt, but I'm afraid that he may not have enough time for the salt. And it's better to elminate the infections before it escalates.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #6 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
nooooooo

Btw, are you going to move your pleco to a bigger tank in the future? those thins gets monstrously big.
That was more aimed at the copper medication then anything. I have Maracyn 1+2 on hand but typical only use it if good old clean water and aquarium salt doesn't do the job.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

It was a reply to both responses. I did factor in the situatiom too... I think if it was just ich or something, I definitely would have just recommended high temps without the salt. lol.

Im also curious as to the reason epsom salt is worse than Aq salt. Usually Aq salt has a prescribed treatment period Whilst I still have yet to run across one for epsom salt.

Do you think OP should bring down temperature then with your prescription? it will stall bacterial growth a bit.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #8 
MollyJean

Quote:
It was a reply to both responses. I did factor in the situatiom too... I think if it was just ich or something, I definitely would have just recommended high temps without the salt. lol.

Im also curious as to the reason epsom salt is worse than Aq salt. Usually Aq salt has a prescribed treatment period Whilst I still have yet to run across one for epsom salt.

Do you think OP should bring down temperature then with your prescription? it will stall bacterial growth a bit.
I'm one of those people who doesn't like adding medications if I can help it. Fish medications, like human medications, can have side effects and cause other problems, even while treating the issues at hand. It's normally a last resort for me.

For the problems malonlonlon is having, epsom salt is useless, but besides that, it is made of magnesium sulfate, which can draw essential fluids from the fish. Long term exposure.. well to be honest, I've never heard of a fish left in epsom salt more then 30 mins at a time, but I do know that it's considered toxic when introduced to a water system in any large quantity. I'd assume it would eventually leech nutrients from a fish's body. As for prescribed treatment, I've always heard short "dips" for 15-30 minutes was best, and this is how I use it, but not for inflamed gills or popeye.

But that is all conjecture, as I rarely have the need to use it myself.

Malonlonlon I'm sorry to veer off track like that. Back to your fish, if you look closely do you see any little strings coming off the gills or notice any further discoloration around the eye? Ruling out parasitic infections is a good idea, but I think you might just have a little too much ammonia in your tank. It's hard to tell without knowing any of the parameters or conditions. So, conservatively I suggest a separate tank (hospital tank) with aquarium salt and changing the water in the main tank to get rid of the epsom salt. But if the issue does seem serious, then yes, Maracyn 1&2 should be used. A little more information would be nice, it would help us understand the problem better and give more accurate information.

aokashi I hope I haven't offended you in some way, I get that feeling.. though it might just be the fact I haven't slept in days, lol. If I have, I'm sorry. :(

Last edited by MollyJean; 08-31-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol, I was afraid I'd annoyed you somehow :) I was also replying at like 3am...not very clearheaded either I'm afraid.

I was working off what OFL said:
"I use aquarium salt (sodium chloride) for external problems-limit to 10 days
I use Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) for internal problems-can be used long term"

Though I do believe she works more off experience. A lot of experience. lol.

There are many articles about the possible negative effects of long term exposure to MgSO4 and NaCL, but none have been proven, everything seems to be theory.

As for the dehydration properties of MgSO4, I would think that NaCL is an equally, if not more potent dehydrator.
The question is whether this is relevant when applied to the aquarium, where solutions made from such are used by fish. especially in the case of marine fish.

That said, I don't recommend OP using Epsom salt either, as the fish is not bloated. I wouldn't recommend Aq salt in this case, as his betta has a swollen side, and Aq salt is known to promote swelling (I'm just quoting ther people, this may be limited to only internal but mreh)

There are some good articles on WetWebMedia, except their stuff is so mesy and hard to find that I've given up looking for it :/
Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
nooooooo

You are thinking of common Pleco some species get 4 inches.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy breathing, lethargy, popeye, swollen gills, white growth