Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #1 
InuzukaHyuuga

Help ;-;

I got my betta maybe a little over a week ago. I did get him at walmart so there is no telling how he was before.
Ever since I've had him he hasen't been eating. He'd just spit out food. Now he won't even put it in his mouth.

People have told me it sometimes takes 1-3 weeks at most for them to adjust to a new tank.
I just did 50% water change for the first time today.

I've noticed him also just acting lethargic. He also won't flare up at his reflection in the mirror anymore. I checked the temperature and it's fine. I also did a test on my water and everything is normal.

I looked up symptoms of sickness and I'm so inexperienced I think he has everything, out of pure panic.

I think he's either been biting his fins or he's got ick or velvet. I really don't know. Here is a picture, can someone help me?

I'm shining a flashlight on him to check for Velvet and I'm not sure if he has it because it's a gold color.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25ktquh&s=6

Last edited by InuzukaHyuuga; 08-23-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Forgot picture
InuzukaHyuuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #2 
InuzukaHyuuga

Here is a picture without the flashlight, and him flared up. So you can see his fins better.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 
Orito

Sounds like an internal parasite. Since you've done all the other steps, I would recommend grabbing the Jungle Parasite Clear Tabs from your LFS, crushing them and mixing them with his food. As long as he can manage to eat a little, he should recover.

If you are positive he will refuse to eat it, then look for a solvent that will treat internal parasites, and does not have too many side-affects.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #4 
InuzukaHyuuga

Well he hasn't eaten since I got him. So I don't think he would eat anything. Do you not think his fins look bad?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #5 
Orito

Well, it looks like the start of fin-rot. Either way, you have to get him some medication.

Have you tried some aquarium salt? Try some, if not.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #6 
InuzukaHyuuga

That was what I was going to do. Just get some aquarium salt. So do you think it's fin rot or an internal parasite or both?

You're saying to treat him for both, right?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #7 
Orito

I would treat for both, but keep a close eye. The aquarium salt is always a good preventative, so using it would be a good practice, it's only coincidence that it'll help with fin-rot.

I would still treat with Jungle Parasite Clear Tabs, atleast until the lethargy goes away.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #8 
MSG

I wouldn't treat your betta with anything. Using salt is unnecessary unless you KNOW he's sick.

• If you can, post a picture of your ENTIRE tank.

What is the temperature in the tank?

Take the temperature in the
  • morning
  • afternoon
  • evening
You only had your betta for a week. He looks healthy to me.

Some bettas take over a week to eat. Just offer him 1 pellet every morning or afternoon. Remove the pellet if he doesn't eat it within an hour so it doesn't mess up the water.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #9 
InuzukaHyuuga

Here is a picture of the whole tank. I check the temperature all the time and it's always consistent. I always offer him food like you said, and at first he would just spit it now he shows no interest at all and he's very lethargic. His fins are slowly starting to look worse.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Your Betta looks healthy to me.
Orito, How can you be sure he has internal parasites? Just because he's not eating? The Betta should be losing weight, and has white stringy poo to have internal parasites. I'm sure he doesn't have it.
He doesn't have fin rot either. He's a VT, they were born like that. He doesn't have Ich or Velvet. That looks nothing like the sicknesses. What exactly is the temperature? And did you acclimate him to his tank once you brought him home?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote