Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #11 
InuzukaHyuuga

The temperature is always 73-80 degreed F. I admit that I didn't acclimate him when I got him, but I made sure that the temperature of the water was the same as his container. He use to be active and play with his mirror. Now he won't even flare up at his reflection. That's why I think he's sick. The not eating is not very reassuring. I know it takes them a while to adjust but still.
InuzukaHyuuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

So when you were acclimating, you didn't pour out the 1/2 the cup water and added some water from the tank?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #13 
tpocicat

73 is low for a betta. If it is that low most of the time, he may just be cold. I agree with LebronTheBetta. He doesn't look sick, and unless the poo is white, parasites aren't the problem. I think it is a mixture of too cold and still getting used to his new home.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #14 
InuzukaHyuuga

Uhm, no? If 73 is low for a betta I don't know what to do. I have a heater.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #15 
tpocicat

You should have an adjustable under water heater. That way you can adjust the temperature to keep the betta comfortable. The temperature IMO should be 78-82 degrees F.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #16 
LebronTheBetta

Then he could be in shock. You should've acclimated properly. The water from the pet store to your tank is REALLY DIFFERENT! The pH might've been different, the hardness, the other parameters. That's taken a toll on him. :l
You should get a better heater then. I agree with tpocicat. The temperature should be stable and in a warm range. Bettas are more vulnerable to sickness when they're cold.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #17 
InuzukaHyuuga

I didn't even know how to acclimate. Is he going to get better? I'll see if I can get a better heater. The one I have claims to keep water at 75-80 degrees. It only comes on when the water needs heating.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #18 
Orito

First off, the start of fin rot is the appearance of milky white areas on the fins. If you notice his rear fins, it's present.

Secondly, the signs of internal parasites have 2 major indicators. He's not eating at all, which will lead to weight loss, you know 1+1=2. The second indicator is his inactivity. After doing personal research (i.e. calling my local aquarium), I was told that internal parasites can also cause what we see on his tail.

Trust me, I did not pull these answers out of thin air.

Either way, you gotta do what's best for your fish, if you truly think he's sick, then treat it, if not, then don't.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #19 
InuzukaHyuuga

I've kinda already gone out and bought the aquarium salt and some parasite stuff. I really do think something is wrong with his fins at least. I can understand that's it's my fault he's not eating. So would it hurt if I at least did the salt treatment?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

Fin rot isn't like that. Neither are internal parasites. Internal parasites can go either way. Bloated or Thin. They eat up all the nutrients the Betta eats. That's not fin rot or internal parasites. I don't see any fins getting smaller. Even if that's what your LFS said, it doesn't mean they're right.