Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #1 
Microfish

Exclamation How much API General Cure to use for Betta with Pineconeing/grey tummy?

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some advice on my sick Betta. To give some background, I've had him for about 3 years and he has had one ailment after another. He started out with swim bladder issues then got Popeye, then he got a cottony growth. I was able to treat both but he then kept getting more cottony growths which I think were fungus. He had a bump by one of his gills that would get the fungus often and that gill seemed to stop opening all of the way.

Once I finally had the fungus under control, he now started pineconeing and has a grey area on his underside. It also looks like his skin on the underside has been eaten away a little.

I was trying to find out the best treatment for this and I think it sounds like it is Wasting Disease. One post I saw recommended API General Cure and Epsom salt. I've sprinkled a little epsom salt in but wasn't sure what the proper dose should be for a 1.77 gallon tank. I also would like to know what the proper dose of API General Cure should be? Would you recommend API General Cure for these symptoms? It is powdered and each packet treats 10 gallons. I haven't used any yet because I want to make sure I dose the tank correctly for the size.

Any advice on the dosing or other help with his medical condition would be greatly appreciated.

I was also wondering whether it is true that the Pimafix and Melafix made by API is bad for Bettas? This is what the pet store recommended to me and I'm worried that this has hurt my Betta more. I read that the Tea Tree oil can be damaging to Bettas. I have also used another treatment with Melakite Green, which I noticed someone on the forum said was bad for Bettas, is this true?

I have stopped running the filter because it doesn't work without using the filter cartridge and I was worried that the filter probably has carbon which will make the treatment ineffective, is this ok?
Microfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
Pearl2011

Once they get dropsy (the pinecoing) you cant reverse it. Dropsy is caused by kidney failure or internal bacterial infection.

As for the Melafix, I have used it and they hadn't gotten any bad side effects. I personally dont believe that. I know people say that, but I have never heard a reason why. Maybe there is someone who could explain why.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #3 
Microfish

Thanks

Thank you for your reply and information. I also heard it wasn't reversible but just wanted to make sure in case it isn't pineconeing but it sure looks like it.

Is there something I can do to make him more comfortable/improve his quality of life?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 
DiiQue

There was someone who posted a week or two ago about their betta pineconeing and people started giving suggestions on the best way to euthanize.. but the owner was persistent and gave something (cant remember what) and the betta got better apparently. Might want to do a search for dropsy. I'll try to find a link if I can.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Hi Microfish and welcome to the forum. Sounds like your guy may be having complications from age. First let me help you with dosing. For epsom salt, the starting dosage is 1 tsp per gallon but you can go up to 3 tsps. You can treat with epsom salt indefinitely.

For General Cure, get a container that holds at least 5 cups of water and fill with dechlorinated water. Add in the dose of medication (I believe it's one packet) and mix well. Now, add in 1/2 cup of medicated water for every 1 gallon of his tank. For your guy, go ahead and add 1.5 cups for his 1.77gal. Save the medicated water because you'll be doing 100% water changes every day and redosing the meds for the duration of his treatment (5 days).

You can treat with epsom salt at the same time.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #6 
Aus

Hi - sorry to hear about your fish. I have had two chronically ill bettas that just never thrived and got illness after illness, though their conditions were good in my tanks. I know how frustrating this can be.

I agree, it might be age related. And if he's always been sickly, he won't age as well as other bettas who've been healthy all their lives.

Can I ask -what's your usual tank temperature and water change schedule?

I avoid the -fix medications for several reasons, but the tea tree oil issue is the main one. There's better natural and medical treatments for the usual betta ailments out there..

Have you ever treated him with a broad spectrum spectrum antibiotic like Kanaplex/Furan-2/Myxazin for any of his illnesses?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 
Microfish

Hi, Thank you. I have never had a Betta before and was given him by someone who unfortunately used him for a centerpiece in a wedding and so I wasn't prepared for him with prior research and wish I had found this forum earlier and maybe I would have been able to keep him healthier. I worry that his initial sickness had to do with me not changing the water enough. Once he got sick I started changing it every day and each time he has gotten better I changed it anywhere from daily to once a week.

The temp is usually 75 to 79, is this ok? I do have a heater but he is on the top floor of my home and it gets pretty warm up there during the summer. I can plug in the heater if you think this will help.

Thank you for the information on the medicines, those don't sound familiar, where is the best place to get Kanaplex/Furan-2/Myxazin? Do you think these would help with what I think may be Dropsy?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #8 
Microfish

Hi Sakura8,
I'm trying to reply to your message but not sure if I'm doing it right. Thank you for the dosing information. Do I first measure out 5 cups of water to put into the container? I think this is what you meant but just want to be sure I'm doing it right. So measure five cups of water into a container and then add the powder packet which treats 10 gallons. Then I take 1.5 cups of it and add to his tank each day?

Since I'll be doing complete water changes, should I just take him and put him in a cup of his old tank water while doing the change?

I've always used spring water to replace the old water, is this ok or should I use tap and treat with a dechlorinator? Thank you again!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Microfish, yes, for a tank of 1.77gals, that's right.

Yes, it would be best to move him to his cup while you do water changes, as long as he doesn't get too stressed.

You might find it cheaper to use tap water and use a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime.

How is he doing?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #10 
Microfish

Thanks Sakura8.

I'll look into getting the Seachem Prime, thanks for the recommendation.

He seems about the same but I think a little worse. He is having trouble swimming again and has his head near the surface and body almost straight down. I don't know if it is a swim bladder issue again or the new sickness, or both. Thank you for the help.