Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #21 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
well i had liek 5 99l/q [i dnt remember which but it added up to about 25g] and i only kept like 500 or so in ea. [tho one kept over 1000 and i didnt have a single chew mark o.0]with alot of food. water supplies many hides.. my breeder tanks none got out. as hey are real tanks but these were my 'gtow out' tubs. and idono. no idea what went wrong there. iv sence moved almost all my lizards over to mealworms and B.Dubias. so i just use a 10g tank for maybe 300 at a time anymore.

btw nel i hear crushing the catfood will make them die quicket they like whole catfood. thats how i do my dubias.. whole cat food in 1 side of a food dish. the gell stuf fin the other :P wellw ith carrots n stuff too ofcourse.
thank you Pyro, i'll stick with whole cat food now. i thought smaller peices would be easier to eat. i dont have space for a proper cricket tank so the plastic boxes were my solution. they dont take much space and they can be stored when not in use. id love to use dubias for their advantages but the laws prohibit keeping them. the unit i live in definately would disapprove of roaches. i have a unit in a condominium complex, even a private home and dubias wont pass the laws here.

do you have a solution for gelatin cubes? i do the proper ratio but it melts into a sludge like substance. would putting less water to powder hold up better?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #22 
pyro fiend

dubias in general? ik here in missouri we cannot keep african soft furred rats. i hate it because i breed ball pythons and thats the natural stape in the wild lol -.- i also use madigascars sometimes for my bigger lizards like tegu's and giant beardies.

cubes and moist cotton balls are only ways i know of. i used to take shallow sandwich tupper wear containers and fill it with cottonballs. and damp them down really well. and i still do that with my dubias. tho my ones big enough to feed i usually use guttload gel stuff.

but you would think crushed would be beter. i did notice a increase in loss of crickets when i switched to whole dogfood instead of crushed. but may also be the temperature change. i switched to whole right around spring time last year. so wasnt as cold -shrug- either way as long as they live. right?
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #23 
finnfinnfriend

If you want my opinion I would just drill a few quarter-inch holes I'm the lid
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #24 
Aahnay

Yep I kinda did that but used a burner it was easy and no melting plastic on the drill bit.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #25 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
dubias in general? ik here in missouri we cannot keep african soft furred rats. i hate it because i breed ball pythons and thats the natural stape in the wild lol -.- i also use madigascars sometimes for my bigger lizards like tegu's and giant beardies.

cubes and moist cotton balls are only ways i know of. i used to take shallow sandwich tupper wear containers and fill it with cottonballs. and damp them down really well. and i still do that with my dubias. tho my ones big enough to feed i usually use guttload gel stuff.

but you would think crushed would be beter. i did notice a increase in loss of crickets when i switched to whole dogfood instead of crushed. but may also be the temperature change. i switched to whole right around spring time last year. so wasnt as cold -shrug- either way as long as they live. right?
ive tried a sponge section left in a bottle cap of water but that evaporates quickly. i havent purchased any gel gut load, is it worth it? i had purchased gelatin cubes from a pet store that didnt degrade into sludge, they just shriveled up when drying. i dont really care how many die, as long as i get my moneys worth. i ask for a dozen and i get 23-25 crickets and 15-18 survive to be fed. i sometimes advance the feeding schedule to make sure too many wont die off.

cant say what im thinking of the crushed cat food atm, a bit too many factors environmentally. my place is usually 25c though it would hit close to 30celcius if there was no AC. thats 1 thing i hate about my current residence. i have no control of the temp, in winter its always 2 degrees warmer than i set it ie 21c chosen vs 23c actual. the AC is keeping the room at 25 but as said before 30c easily without.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #26 
pyro fiend

nay soryr were offtopic here lol

but uh idono realy.. i mean crickets are pretty much pure protien.. i dont see any difference in growth of my animals who are on gutload and who arnt.. but its supposed go give your animal vitamens and stuff they 'need' but my bigger reptiles dont use gutload and they grew just as fast as these on it do.. i just use it cuz i bought a crapload of it n its taking up fridge space lol but i do know once im done with the last container i wont buy another. unless i see alot of growth stunting..

i tried sponge with my crickets n they ate it -.- lol but cottonballs works for me. i kept there container at like 80deg with no humidity n i think i only had to spray the cotton once a day sometimes. depended on how many and how big of a bowl exc exc
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #27 
Aahnay

lol, yeah, i dont care, I got my answer so its cool.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #28 
pyro fiend

i know i shoulda messaged nel instead of blowin up your post XD but i wasnt thinking :P still sorry ^.^
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #29 
Aahnay

Bad robot.. er I mean bad Pyro!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #30 
pyro fiend

LOL beep boop bop..