Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #21 
LittleWatty

Yeah, that's definitely fin damage, not a CT.

As for using the Stresscoat to help him heal, you don't really have to dose any more than with each water change. Maybe do water changes a little more often than you otherwise would, just to make sure his water is clean, so you won't have to worry about the damaged fins turning into finrot. If you've got any aquarium salt, a small dose of that might help too :)
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #22 
inuudo

Thank you for responding so quickly! I do have some API Aquarium salt as well so I will add that when I do a water change later today.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #23 
lelei

Oh boy, he is gorgeous..he is prob a DTHM like our Sammy, and with the tail, we had the same issue, and didnt know he was a biter, but it will heal with warm clean water and yes, a lil AQ salt, when those beautiful full, fins come back, you will be soo amazed at how big they get..

I know Our sammy is amazing when he full flares..I just adore those colors in him, he has a Salamander pattern as well, like our Sammy!!!!

hmmph pet store people thought he was changing himself into a CT because of the biting..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #24 
inuudo

This question just occurred to me (and perhaps I should ask it over in the "health" section instead, but...)

In a case like this, how can you tell if the fin damage is on the mend or if it's getting worse? I realize that observation over time will make the answer quite clear, but in Fluffy's case -- just purchased a week ago, inexperienced fish owner, etc -- is there something about the shape/structure of his tail fin right now that might suggest that it is recovering from damage rather than getting more damaged?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hard to tell in his case-- usually new growth presents itself as clear, but that part of his fins is naturally clear. From the photos, at the bottom of the tail I do see what I believe to be fresh growth. The ends of his tail don't have any black on them, which means it shouldn't be rotting away anymore. Just a heads up that their fins don't always grow back perfect. Some of my fish that had rot in the past have pretty funky fins now compared to the ones that never had it.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

Well, he's definitely biting. The main reasons for biting are stress, boredom, and heavy finnage. Do you have hollow decorations? Tank light? Or it might just be his fins. If it's his fins, there's no way around it. Just make sure the water is kept clean so infection won't set in. No Aquarium Salt! He might as well just keep on biting. Clear fins are new growth, but his fins are already clear. Hard to say.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #27 
inuudo

olympia, thanks -- no black that I can see either; I'm glad that's a good sign. I don't mind if he doesn't have perfect fins -- I just want him to be as healthy and happy as possible.

lebron, I haven't seen him biting at all, so hopefully this was something he did in his previous environments. I have him in this tank. I had conflicting advice about the aquarium salt and I have read elsewhere that it is helpful for healing. Why do you say not to add it?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #28 
LebronTheBetta

Actually, it looks like he bit even more since you bought him. Bettas don't get caught tail biting. That's the catch. If there's no more fin rot, (No more blackness and redness edging at the fins) he will continue to bite during treatment and then you're treating for no reason.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #29 
inuudo

So you're saying that the salt won't hurt him, but if he's biting, then it won't be of any help either?

Also, just to clarify, the photos at the top of the thread were taken yesterday afternoon and the two that I added on page 2 were taken this morning; the difference in photo quality makes it really hard to see in the second set the detail at the edges of his fins -- the first photos are still what he looks like today. I will try to get regular shots with the better camera, though, to try to monitor what's actually happening with his tail.

I appreciate all the input that everyone is giving me here.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #30 
LebronTheBetta

If you use the salt for 10 days, it won't hurt. But if he continues to bite in treatment for the the damage, then the fins won't really grow back if he continues. Clean water should do it, don't use Aquarium Salt for biting. Aquarium Salt is good for fin rot but bad for biting.