Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #1 
Jiirim

Question Medication question

My Betta hasn't been doing well. The store I got him from left him diseased (severe case of fin rot and cloudy eye) and the stress made it even worse for him when I brought him home. I bought some medication for him where it's supposed to be in the tank for 48 hours.
I'm at home with my parents and I can't go back to my house to change out the water in time. Is that bad for the fish? Can the medication be left in the tank for a little longer than 48 hours?
Jiirim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Daily water change salt bath high protein diet too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

Well what kind of medication is it? Many medications are meant to be added every 24 hours for 1 week of treatment and not just be placed in for 48 hours to then be removed, not unelss it's to just change the water and add more.. It shouldn't hurt him to have it in for a little while longer, but if it's for a few extra days there is a possibility that it could do damage.

The best medications to use for cloudy eye and fin rot is Maracyn and Maracyn-Two, they both treat those problems as well as others.

You can also go with the no medication route and do daily water changes with the addition of Aquarium Salt, which also can help cure both of those problems. With that the recipe is 1 tsp per gallon and make sure the salt is completely dissolved before adding the fish into the water. Do that treatment for a week (or week & half if need be) and he should be better depending on how bad he is. If you need to keep that treatment up you can go acouple days in between of him just being in clean water (no salt) for intermissions then proceed to another week of treatment.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote