Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 
Link592

Exclamation Starting my first sorority tank

I have an extra 38 gallon tank and I wanted to start a female betta sorority tank, this is my first time having female bettas!

I will be getting about 6-8 females if you guys recommend more and I wanted to know which would be the best way to introduce them? The pet store we have is in a mall, it's pretty small but in the back they have fish and then in the front they have a huge aquarium, ADFs, and crayfish, shrimps and other types of fish. All there bettas are on shelves in a circle long cup with gravel in it, the females are $5 per I never seen them have a female but there sign says they are $5 each. If the ones I ordered from Aquabid don't make it, i'll be rescuing them from Pet Habitat, since some of them are dying from never being fed.

Anyways how do you guys recommend me introducing them to the tank? Aquabid breeders usually puts them in bags. [They are not related.] I wanted to know if I should:

- Float them in there separate bags
- Put them all in a huge zip lock bag and float them
- Introduce them so give them all 10 minutes to float, then wait 15 minutes add the tank water then after 15 minutes let one female float out and pick her territory, then 3 minutes allow another female out and let her pick HER territory. [How do you tell which one is least aggressive, like best ways to tell which one to let in first?]
- If I get Neon tetras let them in first or the bettas?
- Add more plants, so 3 plants = 1 betta? and make it close together like there own section?

Good things about the tank:
- It has a heater. But it tends to shut off, I don't think it's adjustable.
- The tank is cycled.
- Decorations, fake light silk plants.
- not as sharp gravel.
- Water :)
- Big tank 38 gallons [long].

Bad things:
- When I added 2 scoops of 25mL from the bottle cap of Nutrafin Aqua plus the top were the filter bubbles go above it has bubbles?
- Strong, powerful filter, on low setting the current is still strong, we have a smaller filter hopefully it reaches the water and we are able to have a working filter. - We also have a extra filter, maybe if I turn it the other way it will stop the current? So both of the current hits each other like one in the back, and the other on the side so it calms it down?
- A heater, 200 watts, I believe it has a thermonter? It shuts off and I have to turn it back on, it really doesn't heat up the tank fully, just warms it then shuts it off?
- Tank was running for 1 year, has never been cleaned but I cleaned it, hosed it down.
- Build in mirrors? Any possible way to cover them, the tank has INSIDE mirrors...?

Thank you =] My most annoying problems are da filter n the mirrors...?

i need answers fast because the females will be arriving in 2 days...

Last edited by Link592; 08-23-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Important.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #2 
Fabian

Your tanks seems fine.
Introduce the females from the less aggressive one to the most aggressive one.Be sure to check the "females" as they may be male plakats(short fins).If you want to add neon tetras,add them before the bettas.
Use a small filter than a strong,powerful filter.
I don't exactly get what you mean by build in mirrors.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #3 
registereduser

38 gallons is huge, you can have more than 6-8 girls. Depending on how many neons you have. Personally I would skip the neons and get lots of different colored girls.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #4 
Jully

Fabian, she means there are inside mirrors in the tank like my 55 gallon, I have the same problem as well. Instead of having outside mirrors behind the tank, she has them inside.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #5 
Goldie2nd

wow 55 gallons! #5 gallons means skip neons and get more betta girl like 12 or 16 of dofferent colors and chek if they really are females and not plakats.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #6 
Fabian

What are the mirrors for?
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #7 
registereduser

Most fish don't care about mirrors so they probably put mirrors in big tanks for community fish to make it look more attractive/bigger. You might have to make or buy some kind of home made/foam rock wall background like this:

http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/specials.html

Look at the 2 items on the bottom of the page.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #8 
Link592

Will the females be bothered by the mirrors though? I don't think I can get that wall but I will try....
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #9 
Kitty Whiskers

I recenty started a sorority tank in a used 30 gallon aquarium from a garage sale. I was advised to soak it full of water and a little bleach to disinfect it before use, just in case there was any fish disease from the previous owners fish. Then I rinsed it out super well. But I see you have it already cycled and ready for fish now. It's OK, I'm sure it will be ok with just rinseing it out like you did.

Anyway, when I was moving my Bettas from the old 10 Gallon to the new 30 Gallon, I just put them all in within a minute or 2 of each other and they were fine. They were all to busy checking things out to really notice each other. There were a few new females added too and they still all got along OK.

They won't set up territories right away, that may take a few days.

I'd float them in their seperate bags in the tank instead of puting them all together in one bag to float.

You can check out the section here about making a filter baffle to slow the water speed of the filter outflow.

200 watt heater is a good size for your size tank. Maybe it isn't heating it well enough because it needs to be in an area with better water flow. The heater is supposed to shut off after heating and come back on automaticly when it gets a degree or two below your set temp. But if the thermometer doesen't say the right temp as set on the heater after 24 hours then maybe you need a new heater. (It is a good idea to let the heater, heat the water in the tank for at least 24 hours before reseting or changing the temp settings) In my 30 Gallon I have 2, 100 watt heaters set at both ends of the tank for better heat distribution around the tank.

The mirrors could be hidden by bushy tall plants, but the Female Bettas usually don't react to their reflection in mirrors. Not like the Male Bettas do anyway.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta, how to introduce?, need answers