Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #1 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Betta agoraphobia

I don't have a Betta with agoraphobia I have heard people say there betta had a panic attack when it went to a bigger tank Agroraphobia is a fear of big and crowded spaces is it common.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

some bettas need a transitioning process. I mean it's like moving from a studio apartment to a castle. Some people will freak.
but if you upgrade slowly, like from a studio
apartment, to a 1 bedroom, 2-bedroom, a small house...... mansion... etcetc u'd freak less
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

I have two like that. I've tried to slowly move them up to larger tanks but they just wont take it. Eery who is a HMm is in a 2.5 and doesn't like anything larger, the other is Slate a CTm who is in a 3 gallon and doesn't like anything bigger. I may be able to eventually get Slate to a 4 gallon since i've been able to work him from a 2.5 to the 3 gallon he's in now.. Slow slow steps.. lol
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I feel sorry for Bettas with agoraphobia it might be caused by the way breeders and pet stores store them.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
I have two like that. I've tried to slowly move them up to larger tanks but they just wont take it. Eery who is a HMm is in a 2.5 and doesn't like anything larger, the other is Slate a CTm who is in a 3 gallon and doesn't like anything bigger. I may be able to eventually get Slate to a 4 gallon since i've been able to work him from a 2.5 to the 3 gallon he's in now.. Slow slow steps.. lol
I had this same issue with two of my males...one is back in his 1g until I buy another 2.5, Bali is in the 2.5 now and loves it..he hated the 5.5. He just never calmed down in it. I just want them happy...Bali loves that his new tank is next to my mirror, so a couple times a day I can remove the background and he can intimidate the "other fish" lol!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #6 
Tomsk

Use large ornaments/plants to section off the new tank into areas.It's not the size of tank that the Betta doesn't like,its the open space.If you get a larger tank put some plants/ ornaments near each side and a large one one in the middle (or similar).

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 
Goldie2nd

Mine hapen to like the small space actually all of them have some type of this so if anything I;'ll up them when and if I can to 3g tanks or 2.5g tanks.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Perseus went from a half gallon(he was in it a week)to a 5 gallon without any problems, he looked so tiny in it at first. But he made bubble nests in the half gallon and he has only made one in the 5 gallon since he has been in it 3 months now. But he loves the 5 gallon he swims, plays and explores till lights out.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #9 
TheCheese909

I've tried adding lots of plants & decorations and it didn't work out.

I like to call them "Puddle Fish" while the others who love the larger tanks are my "Ocean Fish" lol.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thecheese at first calling them the puddle fish got me a little mad the i read you only call the ones who like small tanks that like the naming technige how many tanks do you have whats your biggest and what is your smallest.