Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #11 
teeneythebetta

I suppose it depends on the fish..
Teeney went from a not so full 2.5 gallon tank to a very empty 10 gallon tank a few months ago. If anything she was happy! xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta

edit: woops wrong thread xD
Old 08-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #13 
lelei

I have never put my fish in a big tank right away..for other reasons, like fin rot..or something..so they 4 of them started out in 1.75 Kritter Keepers, for treatment..and our Sammy has been upgraded 3x..first when he came home, and then in a KK same size, then to a 3 gal then now in his 5 gal, with this gradual transition, it made him very comfortable in his new home..I think without knowing that I may have been doing something helpful, it was a matter of time, and he outgrew the 3 gal, and I had to get him into something bigger from the kk..so It worked out great..my new rescues, (the girls) are moving into their new homes soon..as well as Crimson, he went right into a 5 gallon he is a big boy..so he needed it.:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #14 
TheCheese909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Thecheese at first calling them the puddle fish got me a little mad the i read you only call the ones who like small tanks that like the naming technige how many tanks do you have whats your biggest and what is your smallest.
RIGHT! I don't call everyone a Puddle Fish just the guys -or girls- who don't like anything larger then acouple gallons to live in. I don't use the term for every Betta and I always correct those who say Bettas live in puddles. ;) i'm one of the good guys (or girls in this case), I love my boys and make sure they all have what they need to be happy.

I have 7 tanks. My smallest is a 2.5 gallon which holds a stunted "Puddle Fish" HM, Eery. (he's a very small bloke)

I have three 3 gallons (one of them I think is more of a 4 gallon, but i'm not totally sure).
And I also have three 5 gallons.

Everyone has silk plants and some kind of decoration (or two), like a hut/house, cave thing, arch/bridge exc.

I go by body size & what each fish prefers for their tank size and how much decor/foliage they like. If I get more room I would like to upgrade my youngest who's in a 3gal to a 5, i've had him since he was a tiny little guy (5mos old there abouts) and he's always had a lot of swimming room so he I think he'll love a 5.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

For some reason people think they come from Puddles.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
For some reason people think they come from Puddles.
Because they Jump from puddle to puddle to reach a larger body of water; so when people find one in a puddle, they assume it lives there
Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #17 
Luimeril

i have a pretty large plakat female, named Lulu, who's about three years old. for the longest time, i was trying to move her from her one gallon, to something bigger, but she wouldn't have it.

first try, was a 2 gallon. she hid in her cave for a week, almost not even coming out to eat, and got ick. 8I cured that real fast.

second time was a 1.5 gallon. thought, smaller tank, still more space than her 1 gallon. nope. she still hid, stressed out, and didn't want to do anything.

FINALLY. got her into a 2 gallon, happily. she's the first, and only, betta i've had, that took so long to be happy in a larger tank. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Because they Jump from puddle to puddle to reach a larger body of water; so when people find one in a puddle, they assume it lives there
Really I heard They live in rice paddies and bodies like that. The bodies dry up the stay there a few months most die and when the rain comes back they go into the bodies. How big of a puddle are we talking about. How would it jump to a puddle? If it is an inch or two wouldnt that make it impossible to jump like that? Just wondering.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #19 
davyj0427

I read somewhere a betta was found in the imprint of someones footprint. They can survive in those conditions for a short time. They would not thrive.
davyj0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #20 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Really I heard They live in rice paddies and bodies like that. The bodies dry up the stay there a few months most die and when the rain comes back they go into the bodies. How big of a puddle are we talking about. How would it jump to a puddle? If it is an inch or two wouldnt that make it impossible to jump like that? Just wondering.
You're right but they use them to navigate as well.

That's why bettas jump dividers or out of uncovered tanks... It's instinct. To them that tank is like the puddle they're in and they jump and unfortunately
There's no "puddle" on the other side.