Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 
purpleBETTAS

Question Treatment Period is Over: What's the next step?

Hey guys I am back again with an update. Trooper has recovered very well and I noticed that over this weekend a few of his fins have even grown too. :)

Now the question is. What is the next step?

Also I am not sure but where the bumps use to be almost appear as of they have become black scars. Is this ok? Should I not expect him to completely lOok the way he use to?
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #2 
lvandert

keep on the water changes. What did you dose with?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 
purpleBETTAS

Arrow Sorry for the late reply ! -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
keep on the water changes. What did you dose with?
The treatment I have been doing is this

" Then make 50% daily water changes with the premixed treatment water for the next 10 days.
Premixed treatment water-Using a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-(dried oak leaf 20 crushed/gallon) Let this steep for 30min-shake well and use as instructed as posted above.
He needs to stay in the premixed treatment water for the duration of the treatment period..... "

So I am still doing this treatment (minus the oak leaves), but I haven't been changing it everyday. More so every other day, or every three days. He acts normal he is eating well. All the bumps has disappeared but it appears that where the main bumps on his back were have become scars? Im not sure if that is possible for my fish. But I am afraid to do a 100% water change, I am not sure of the proper precautions I should do.

I actually just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday. So ive gotten my mom and sister to pick up some different types of food to give him a more balanced diet. i.e. pellets and flakes, as well as an exercise mirror. Is peas ok to give him too? I want something that will clear out his system I know it would be good for him.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #4 
lelei

The flaring action with the mirror being excersise will do what the pea does, for constipation, try some Frozen brine shrimp..I hear they are great to add for diet variation..and some Frozen Blood worms as well, but not every day..once a week will be fine..but I hear peas are not good.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #5 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
The flaring action with the mirror being excersise will do what the pea does, for constipation, try some Frozen brine shrimp..I hear they are great to add for diet variation..and some Frozen Blood worms as well, but not every day..once a week will be fine..but I hear peas are not good.

Oh no, see the women at the pet food store told me it was ok to give blood worms everyday ! ): do you think he will be ok, I actually just gave him a few min of exercise with the mirror. He looked really beautiful when he flared up, his tail fin had lovely blue/purple stripes in it. But regardless do you think he will be ok? I gave him two pellets i meant to give one -_- but he ate both before i could get the other out. Anyways. I dont think he is constipated because he acts fine to me.

How would one act if he was?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #6 
lvandert

The scars are very possible, it also might be a weak spot in his scales so keep an eye out for any fuzzies or rot in those areas.

for constipation they sometimes act normal but his belly will be the culprit. His belly will be very bloated. A little bloat after eating is normal but if its excessive then there are some very simple treatments for that; one being 1tsp of epsom salt for 7-10 days.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
The scars are very possible, it also might be a weak spot in his scales so keep an eye out for any fuzzies or rot in those areas.

for constipation they sometimes act normal but his belly will be the culprit. His belly will be very bloated. A little bloat after eating is normal but if its excessive then there are some very simple treatments for that; one being 1tsp of epsom salt for 7-10 days.

Well i just checked him out, his belly looks fine to me, I plan to fast him tomorrow just for a safety measure. and I was wondering do you know if a frozen pea is good or bad for him? I've heard some mixed opinions so Im not sure what to think.

and how would I go about a 100% water change? and how often should I be doing one?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #8 
purpleBETTAS

Also , the scar on his back appears a grayish / light black colour . It hasnt changed from that after the treatment period. and it does not look fluffy at all but smooth.

I can post a picture if that will help ...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #9 
lvandert

I'm not a fan of the pea myself but if done correctly it helps. I much prefer the unscented epsom salt.

as for water changes I would do it in two parts. Have all the water ready to go and then take out half, put half in, and then just repeat

edit: keep an eye on the grey scales. If they start to progress I would treat for agressive fin rot (this is the same deal just on the scales).
Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #10 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the pea myself but if done correctly it helps. I much prefer the unscented epsom salt.

as for water changes I would do it in two parts. Have all the water ready to go and then take out half, put half in, and then just repeat

edit: keep an eye on the grey scales. If they start to progress I would treat for agressive fin rot (this is the same deal just on the scales).
alright that makes sense, he doesn't appear to be constipated at all, and it has been quite a few weeks and the scale hasn't changed at all. I will keep an eye on it for sure. But I dont know what to think about it. if it hasn't changed it could be a scar but still I dont know what to think....