Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #1 
Tofino

Questions about 2.5 galleon tank cycling?

Hi!
I'm new here, but I've had a betta fish for a couple weeks now. He's only in a 1/2 galleon bowl right now, so I wanna get him a 2.5 or 3 galleon one instead. He had/has fin rot, but it looks like he's recovering... slowly...

Anyway, my question is about cycling. I've read as many threads on here as I can find about cycling a tank, but (and I feel so dumb saying this) I just don't really get it. Can you have a filter without cycling it? And I guess if I do cycle it, I'll use the shrimp method, but how do I go about doing that?

Lastly, how frequently should I clean the tank if it's cycled? And if it isn't cycled? I've seen you guys say 50% water changes and the like, so how do you go about doing that? Just scoop or tip the water out??

Thanks so much guys. :)
Tofino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post
Hi!
I'm new here, but I've had a betta fish for a couple weeks now. He's only in a 1/2 galleon bowl right now, so I wanna get him a 2.5 or 3 galleon one instead. He had/has fin rot, but it looks like he's recovering... slowly...

Anyway, my question is about cycling. I've read as many threads on here as I can find about cycling a tank, but (and I feel so dumb saying this) I just don't really get it. Can you have a filter without cycling it? And I guess if I do cycle it, I'll use the shrimp method, but how do I go about doing that?

Lastly, how frequently should I clean the tank if it's cycled? And if it isn't cycled? I've seen you guys say 50% water changes and the like, so how do you go about doing that? Just scoop or tip the water out??

Thanks so much guys. :)
It's really hard to cycle anything that small, and not really necessary. You just have to do regular water changes. One 50% and one 100% weekly. You can buy a tank vacuum at walmart, and use it to remove the water, and suck up debris from the bottom during your 50% changes.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

And yes, you can use a filter without cycling. Both my 5g tanks have filters, and none of them were cycled first.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #4 
kfryman

Okay it is possible to cycle ANY tank if there is a filter, but there must be enough surface area. Also it won't be a stable cycle so 2 50% water changes a week will help. A filter is very good for saving you from water changes all the time lol.

Shrimp method is really garbage, it is a terrible idea. It starts to rot and gives fungus the chance to come in the tank, don't do it. Either do ammonia or fish in. Bettas will be fine in a 2.5 gallon with 2-3, three is preferable until it cycles, 50% water changes a week.

One thing though, make sure you have a bigger filter, at least rated for 5 gallons, taht way it adds more surface area. Also a Hang on back (HOB) filter will add a bit more water volume to the tank so I would recommend using that.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The main reason for a cycled tank is not the convenience of the fishkeeper but for the purity of water for the fish.

Kfryman is right. Shrimp and fishfood are not the best ammonia generators. Get a liquid test kit; test for ammonia before each water change. Run your filter and 50% change water 3x week. Your tank will cycle automatically....but it will take a while.

Read all you can about cycling.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

This is also good:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...le-log-110957/

Eventually it will make sense. Ask as much as you need to.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-22-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #6 
Freyja
Banned

I added a sponge to my 2.5g filter to give it more surface area than just the cartridge, which is nice and gunky. I also have some java fern in with Voldsom although Im getting more plants for him to help even more with water quality. I do two 50% water changes right now as I've had my tank now for about 8 weeks.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #7 
Tofino

Ahh ok, it's slowly making more sense now... Thanks for the help!

Now I have a completely different question. I want to put the tank on my glass desk in my room, but its right over top of the air conditioner/ heating vent. Is that going to be a problem?
Tofino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Not with the AC so much, but with heat rising around the tank, it's hard to say. A few layers of towels would help and be sure the hot air isn't right on the tank. You should have a thermometer, anyway. That'll answer any questions. Keep the temp 78*/80*
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Your betta's fin rot can be helped with warm water, 78-80 degrees F.
You can put it under the AC vent if you have a heater that is adjustable & has a thermostat, ensure the water stays 78-80 degrees at all
Times. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #10 
vilmarisv

If you decide to cycle, don't place your fish in the new tank unless he's 100% healed from the fin rot.
Cycles are harsh on fish and although bettas are very hardy fish you don't want to submit a sick one to those conditions.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallon, betta, cycling, tank