Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #21 
katydidmischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
u defintely have some new fin growth going on there with your red one, good job! the tanks look great. one day when I hit the lotto ima redo all of sushi's stuff but hes seems content for now, hes a pretty spoiled little guy considering mama's budget and all his other "siblings" lol
Thank you and he definitely does--I've been monitoring him for a while and every day there's a teensy bit more. I totally understand the budget thing too: I'm going on one because between the fishfaces and the cats and my having to reduce my hours at work... yeah, they're all going to have to live with being a little less spoiled.

And that said: I may have gone into Petco today with the intention of researching the price of hermit crab supplies. I came home with Balthazar instead. *faceplam* Like pringles, these little fish are. But given I am now at capacity, well, no more fish will be residing in my apartment; we're maxed out on space.

I wanted to set up the 5 gallon, but I had less space on my dresser than I thought I did. There is some finagling I could do, but instead I set up my 3 gallon KK with a heater and a 3i whisper filter, and I would be lying if I said I expected to move him up any time soon--I just don't have the space right now as I'm cleaning out my entire apartment and remodeling. (Less than 250sq feet and I've got more than I need. Most of it is going to charity, the rest in the trash.) I'm thinking after the holidays I'll look into modifying his arrangement by, perhaps, getting a 20L and dividing it to hold the boys and maybe a girl.

By the way, the clear stones came from Michaels. 6.99$ for 3 pounds. With a 40% coupon I had, it cost me a little over 4$ for them. Since I'm now on a strict budget, this ate into my luxury money, along with the purchase of the filter and little urn pot, and, you know, him, but, oh well, I won't go to the movies and I'll eat out of my parents fridge for a few days.
Attached Images

katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #22 
sareena79

hahaha yeah they are like pringles, Im already thinking of getting a divided tank so I can add a 2nd one but Ima prob have to wait till after the holidays for that. what heater are u using in this newest tank? is it one u have used before and trust not to fry your fish cuz thats what Im struggling with right now since Sushi is only in a 2gal right now
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #23 
katydidmischief

I was using it in the other tank--it's one of the preset ones that I dislike but until I have the money for a better adjustable one, it does do the job--and yup, I trust it. It's a tetra brand, was extremely cheap on Amazon, and it's rated for 2-10 gallons. Granted I was using 2 heaters in the 10 to get it to the right temp, but it works fine in the 3 gallon by itself. Still want a better one, just not all that upset using it in a smaller tank.

And I love that your fish's name is Sushi! Awesome!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #24 
sareena79

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidmischief View Post
I was using it in the other tank--it's one of the preset ones that I dislike but until I have the money for a better adjustable one, it does do the job--and yup, I trust it. It's a tetra brand, was extremely cheap on Amazon, and it's rated for 2-10 gallons. Granted I was using 2 heaters in the 10 to get it to the right temp, but it works fine in the 3 gallon by itself. Still want a better one, just not all that upset using it in a smaller tank.

And I love that your fish's name is Sushi! Awesome!
Yeah Im a little leery of the preset ones in a small tank, I have a couple Im eyeballing right now but I know I need to hurry and choose b/c hes been fine in this TX heat (my house stays around 75 with ac on) but fall is right around the corner so ima need to start warming him up a bit cuz I dont run my house heater much cuz it dries out my skin/hair/sinuses so I just bundle up a bit but poor Sush will freeze like that....oh yeah I thought i was being clever but I have seen that name a few times on here since I got him so I guess not lol If I get another Ima name him Chumlee (like chum bait...and the guy from pawn stars). My father in law is a big fisherman and hes always teasing me about what a great lure Sushi would make
Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #25 
katydidmischief

I love the name Chumlee! That's a great name for a little fishface, especially because it'd make me think of the guy from Pawn Stars. (Love that show!)

I moved Balthazar into the 5.5 gallon--I was having too hard a time heating the 3 gallon, not to mention feeding and checking on him. I also wanted to install the sponge filter and the size of the tank and the filter just wasn't compatible; the Whisper 3i will stay with the 3 gallon for when my friend babysits my frogs for me this November. Anyway, the move stressed him some, and today was the first time he's really eaten, I feel terrible about the stress but I feel better that he's in a nice big tank with a good heater.

Currently, his tank is set for an "ethereal" theme. Since he's named for the angel from the show Supernatural, I decided to have some fun with his tank. I did away with the brown urn, added a kerr glass jar, a yellow glass cup, swapped the purple and pink plants for all green, and added a marimo ball as well as two small pieces of driftwood.

And a photo of my third fish kid.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #26 
sareena79

looks great! thats another reason I want to upgrade Sushi's tank, u can put better stuff in a bigger tank :) I've tried to make his as fun as I can for now but once I get a little extra cash (whats that lol) ima have to get him some new diggs. Im probably gonna get one I can divide so I can have 2 pretty boys.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #27 
katydidmischief

Thanks! And I know--what's extra cash?--it's so hard to get them the things you want but hey, they've certainly got a better life than being stuck in a cup in the store. I totally want to see if you get get one you can divide! Bet it'll be awesome!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #28 
katydidmischief

I haven't posted in a while, so the update: I have acquired a female and this, of course, means I need to think about the tank situation since I'm getting attached to the little lady. The best solution I can think of is to divide the 10 gallon three ways, and give her the 5.5 gallon. This of course means I'll be needing to pick up some more plants and another piece of mopani wood, but it's that or buy another tank and I just can't afford it right now. :/

Honestly, I feel a little overwhelmed having taken her home, but I was watching her get beaten up by a tetra, resting on the filter, and hiding every where she could find a spot and I just knew I couldn't leave her. I'd planned to adopt her out, but she's so sweet and I love her already... I guess I should have seen this coming, with how I've been looking at all the girls lately.

Anyway, I figure I just wanted to put this down where I could work out what I'm going to do with the tanks since financially, I'm a little tight these next few months.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #29 
katydidmischief

I've done a lot of thinking lately, and decided to rescue a halfmoon male from petsmart whom was missing most of his fins. He was gray and had stress lines; yeah, I'm a bleeding heart.

However, he's the straw that broke the camel's back: I have to rehome the little ones I'd planned to rehome from the start and ended up claiming as my own. Sadly, I just can't provide them with the conditions I'd like. My therapist even agrees that I'm overwhelmed by the number of pets I have, and I should whittle the number down, and then perhaps rescue and rehome so I can feel like I'm helping without having a horde.

I'm not happy about this, honestly. I love them all and choosing who stays and who has to go to new homes is the hardest thing I have to do; ultimately, I know it's better for them since I'm struggling a little right now, but it still hurts. *sigh*
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #30 
sareena79

I do pet rescue out of my tiny little house and its so hard to see them go but at the same time I like knowing thats one less cat/dog thats cold and hungy on the street. remember that You can't change the world by helping a single animal, but you can change the world for that single animal !