Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #1 
katydidmischief

Hydor slim heater?

So I bought the hydor slim heater and it arrived on Wednesday. So far it's been fantastic. My concern lies in the fact that many years ago, my very first fish tank (managed by pet-loving mom) ended up dying due to a defective heater. We lost a pair of angel fish, neons, and cories. I'm still weary of heaters because of this and did not leave it running while I was at work yesterday.

Now, that said, I was gone for 8 hours and the temp was stable. I will be gone for a little longer today. Should I leave it off today and then turn it on tomorrow and leave it on when I can monitor it? I know it should be fine; reviews say it reaches a certain temp and then maintains, but I guess after than horrible memory, I'd like some other perspectives.

This is the heater: http://www.aquariumguys.com/slim-hea...-7-5-watt.html
His tank is 3 gallons.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #2 
MSG

This is not the same type of heater that malfunctioned in your other tank.

This one is relatively simple. Unless your tank is too small it shouldn't overheat the tank. But I don't like these heaters. I have the same, but don't use it.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 
mahi

I'm using the same heater in my 4 gallon. It works well. As far as I understand this heater simply cannot overheat my tank, as it's always at it's max. But it's max is not very strong.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #4 
katydidmischief

Thank you both! I figured it'd be fine, but I'm already so completely attached to Michael that I'd be devastated if anything happened to him.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote