Betta Fish Forum banner

HELP?! my beloved betta is sick :( lost on what to do!

548 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Goldie2nd 
#1 ·
Hi fellow betta lovers, i am desperate and need some help :cry:

I have a gorgeous betta named Lava.. he was bright red and very lively until tonight.
Found him sunken on the floor and leaning a bit to one side of his aquarium and pretty much lifeless and his gills barely going.. He's also faded a little bit and I have no clue what is wrong :-(
His little side fins see to move occassionally but the rest of him is just limp.. His eyes seem clear and I can't see any fungus or anything obviously wrong except his slight discoloration

He is my first betta and have had him for close to 8 months. He was originally in a fish bowl and 3 weeks ago I got him into a proper fish tank complete with filter, heater and have put in the usual stuff i used in his bowl - ie water conditioner/water ager.

I have now removed him from the fish tank and back into his bowl to isolate any other thing that might be the trigger to his unwellness

It is now 9pm where I am and no pet shop is open for me to get answers and help and was hoping I can get some advice tonight on what to do till I can go in the morning..

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me. Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you cycled your new tank? What size is it, and what are the current water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Also, what is your current water change schedule?

It sounds like it could be ammonia or nitrite poisoning to me, but without knowing the current water parameters I can't say for sure. What I would certainly recommend though, is that if there is some issue with the tank water and he must stay in the bowl, you float it in the heated tank so that he stays in a warm environment- being cold will certainly exacerbate any illness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.