Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #1 
LizzyP

Severely ripped caudal fin

Woke up to a ripped caudal fin on Dumbledore. Unfortunately I didn't have time to put him in a hospital tank but I did get some water ready and a 1 gallon tank from storage and cleaned up. Question is, how much salt for 1 gallon? I added a double dose of Stress Coat per its instructions on the bottle. I have no idea what he could've ripped it on. He's been in this tank a month now, he he has been chewing on his tail, maybe he could've done it to himself? I don't know. I'm really upset.

Another question. The fin that he ripped, a strand of tail is still dangling. I will try and get a picture of it tonight. Will it eventually fall off? Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Happy Friday
LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #2 
shellieca

Does he have any tank mates? If not IMO there's no reason to move him just do proper water changes & he should be fine. Does there appear to be any open wounds or is it just the fin? Personally I don't use meds (including salt) unless its absolutely necessary& if its only the fin tear thers no need for meds or QT. Keeping the water clean & warm, IME, works better than anything.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #3 
LizzyP

Only reason why is because the rip is really close to the body which is why I wanted to use the salt in the first place to ward off any bacteria.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote