Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 
Sapphoira

Petsmart plants

so as some of you know I work at Petsmart, and for a long time they have only carried semi aquatic plants. I was really pleased to see that recently in the last month or so, they've started carrying fulling aquatic plants like Java Fern, Anacharis, and Water Wisteria. However, we have had a lot of customers complaining that although the plants are labelled "snail free," they have been coming down with snail infestations. Just a heads up in case anyone wants to get some plants at their local petsmart! I got a couple to see, and I haven't had any problems yet but I did wash mine thoroughly and bathe them in an hydrogen peroxide solution for about 10 minutes beforehand :)
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I was planning to buy some... What about QTing it in tap water for 1-2 weeks? Oh, and does your Petsmart have a store called "Home Goods" near by? That's were I found plants and you're in MD. I really want some plants. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #3 
SnowySurface

Snails and live plants go together like peanut butter and jelly. It's really hard to have one without the other. I look at my plants and pick off any snails I see before I add them to the tank. Any snails I didn't see get picked out of the tank later.

I've come to terms with the fact that as long as I have live plants I'm stuck with the stow aways. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #4 
JackisLost

I pick and toss them every time I see them and eventually they disappear from my tanks.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #5 
copperarabian

At a petsmart close to me they recently got a snail infestation in their tank syetem. My store is still snail free lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I was planning to buy some... What about QTing it in tap water for 1-2 weeks? Oh, and does your Petsmart have a store called "Home Goods" near by? That's were I found plants and you're in MD. I really want some plants. :)
Well one of the stores here does have a homegoods nearby, but unless you were out in Harford County I doubt it was near me!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

I've quarantined my plants for a week, to watch out for snails and I heard they can carry diseases :/
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, it's just because Petsmart had those snail free signs as well. The other Petsmart near me doesn't have plants so I go there.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #9 
ZergyMonster

I don't see why they don't just set loose some loaches in their plant tanks. Those guys will suck up and kill every last snail.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 
kfryman

I never quarantine my plants, my tank is fine. I have even put pond snails in my tank before and I have no snails besides MTS, which stay in the substrate (They are good for the soil in the tank) and my 3 nerites that I have.

I make sure to almost never have lots of left over food and I think my ghost shrimp eat them lol, or the old ones did.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote