Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
Jully

Question Starting my female sorority tank

Hello, I am currently NEW to female bettas , I have never owned a female, so I am asking for help.

I have a 55 gallon tank, and I will be getting 10 females and some cories and neons, anyways Pet Habitat rarely sells females, unless they are at the bottom shelf, so I am going to look there, if they don't have them, I will be going to King Ed there bettas usually have a very calm personality, instead of putting them in cups both stores put them in bags, so because the bags will be seperate and I will be carrying a LOT of fish.

Anyways, what way do you guys recommend introducing females to the tank, of course least aggressive first, then very aggressive last. Anyways, thank you for the help.

Haha, sorry if my question is a bit weird or stupid, I am just new to the females
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 
Fabian

Add some live plants or fake(silk plants are better) in your tank.Be sure to check the females carefully because some males(plakat) look just like females.Dip your females bag into the tank first and release them one by one according to their aggressiveness.If you want to have cories or neon tetras,add them first so your bettas will not disturb them.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 
Jully

Yeah I know the difference of Plakats and females so I will be alright.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 
Jully

Bump :#
Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #5 
babystarz

I just finally put my girls in my sorority tank today. I added them all one after the other. I dropped in the biggest two, my mustard gas sisters who I assumed would be most aggressive due to their size, last. I was right about them -- they're turning out to be the most dominant fish in the tank. I might have to move them back into solitary tanks.

Make sure you watch the fish for at least 15 minutes after you add them. Keep a turkey baster in hand just in case there is fighting, shooting water at the fish is a very effective way to break them up. After that, check on everybody every 15 minutes for a few hours. I think putting the fish in after 4:00 PM is ideal because it becomes dark soon after that in most latitudes and the fish won't be able to see each other.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

quarantine the girls in seperate heated tanks for 2 weeks or more. This will prevent an illness outbreak as long as they all appear healthy over the 2 week or more period.

Then, add them all over approx. a 15 minute or so period, in order of least agressive to most agressive.

Your tank MUST be cycled to have a sorority. You can have a 10 gallon tank at the smallest, which I wouldn't reccomend putting any more than 5 girls in.

You need lots of hiding spots & plants,
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #7 
Jully

I have a 55 gallon tank, I have no need for a 10 gallon aquarium I also have an extra 10 - 15 gallon tank, but that's where my turtle use to be. I don't know where the filter and heater went though.

I don't have quarantine tanks, but I could use my food containers I never used... Which are big., I don't have any heaters at the moment besides my 55 gallon heater. I will be stocking the tank with plants hopefully, and I will be looking for the less aggressive ones, so I can keep a calm tank. But you never know..

I will be going to King Eds because they take much better care for there bettas, and I had never had a sick betta from them, they were all healthy and I will also be checking if the fish is:
• Healthy
• Active
• Tears or fins, rips.
• Aggressive, calm, or regular, [Both aggressive and calm]
• Sticking out scales, bloating..etc [Dropsy and other diseases]

If they past all I have, I will buy them. Pet Habitat just keep there Betta's on as shelf they never really have females...I guess people prefer the long fins, if I can't find females at King Eds I will go to Pet Habitat, if I can't find any at Pet Habitat well then.... But I am sure I will fine some at King Eds they have a LOT of fish, including piranhas :P Which I am never going to be interested in.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #8 
Jully

Hopefully I don't have big problems, I am getting 10 of them, and I only have 1 extra tank, then I have regular food plastic containers. So hopefully I don't have problems, I will be buying a lot of plants maybe 1 - 3 plants = 1 betta fish. And set up like territories so they aren't bothered. Hopefully the 3 inside mirrors of the tank doesn't bother them.

Tags
female sorority tank, new to females