Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #1 
pyro fiend

does Taipan have a tumor? :(

well ik your supposed to give all this info but heres my catch.. i dont know how hes been being taken care of the last month or so. but anyways...

hes in a 1g drum. its been high 80s+ so he dont have a heater in there..no tank mates. usually fed 4-5 pellets a day or 2 (or so i told them cuz if fed even 2 or 3 small pellets ev day hell bloat rly bad..) of a very tiny pellet [like half the size of most "small pellets" i seen i thnk its aquaculture] they have kept fish befor so im not sure if mine was half a@%ed or not done much at all.. but i said to do a 50% mon and wed and friday cup him in his tank water and do a 100% change of about same temp water. put in the safeguard, and release him in like 20 mins.. now when i came back. some of the tanks were, well kinda dirty.. little bit of crud on bottom of my other 1g tanked betta and same with Tai's... 2 of my 3 bettas are fine. but taipan :S he has a lump </3 iv fasted him for 2 days now and its only n one side so im sure it aint constipation. it dont realy have much discoloration. but hes black and orange. and the lump just makes orange show lil more.. he is acting weird. he usually dont mnd me by the tank he enjoyed my company. but hes being verry skittish. i went to even grab his food to take pic as he fed to see lump.. and he went CRAZY flew all over the drum... it took me a hour to even get this one pic -.- and few of his side w.o the lump -.- is it a tumor? :C i planned on breeding this beautiful guy in a few months.. should i not try now?

now befor someone starts lecturing me about this being a small tank.. taipan HATES big tanks. even without the filters.. he will even go off feeding for over a week.. he has been tried in a 10 and a 5. even tried cupping him and letting him float a week [changed cup water with that beta water bottles daylie] and he still refused.. with no tank mates... he loves the 1g and makes HUGE bubble nests... when in it. in the 24hrs sence i changed his water hes got a 1/4 in wide bubble nest AROUND THE ENTIRE DRUM[not filled to top cuz he loves his nests just a in or so below the 'neck']! in some spots the nest is over 5 bubbles high [corners] taipan is s small tank lover.. so please dont try and tell me how to care for him.. i know what he likes >.<
P.S. that tank behind him. its for lucky bamboo he disliked. not for a betta
Attached Images

pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry I can't see anything unusual in the pics. maybe someone else can.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #3 
pyro fiend

where the orange is from his bottom fin theres a black bump.. its the best i could get :( he keeps freaking out.all my other pics were of wrong side or blurry as F$^% =\

ust took 2 more hes freaking out even more when im near tank now :( its breaking my heart. he went airborn twice :S glad i got hardwearcloth ovr it...

=\ its a lump i circled it n took new pix with circles.. btw yea he looks a lil bloated too but bump was there b4 i fed him
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #4 
Pogthefish

I think it could be. Pog has a small tumor near his cadual, but yeah. Anyway, how long has it been there? Cancer does not usually come overnight (I suspect you mean cancer, tumor can refer to any unidentified mass in the body) The thing is, Pog's lump is small and round, and that one is more tent shaped and larger. He could also have a parasite (never dealt with those before, sorry.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #5 
pyro fiend

thats the catch pog, im not sure. iv been out of town for a wiel, like lil ovr a m0nth iv been gone.[6 maybe 6.5 weeks i think dont remember had fun n time flyed] and came back to kinda dirty tanks and my favorite oldest betta with a lump :(
Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #6 
Pogthefish

Could be an injury, but now that you mention he is old, older ones are more suceptible to cancer. As long as he is not suffering, just treat him like normal. If he does appear to suffer, it might be time to euthanize.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Those pics show it better. I'm not sure as I've never experienced it. I'd say because there was a little lack of care while you were gone that may have caused a problem. How long have you been back? Since you noticed it does it seem to be getting bigger or staying the same? All I've dealt with is body/fin rot & to deal with that I moved my female from a 1g to a 10g & kept her in clean water, no meds or salt added. Sorry, not much if any help.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #8 
pyro fiend

im not sure either. iv only been back like 50 hrs. seems to be the same. iv only delt with fin rot, ick and some constipation [well bloating ofcourse]. but never this :S hes fasted 48hrs till bout a hr ago when i fed him. i dont realy wana put him in a 10g as this particular betta HATES any tank bigger then his drum bowl. and goes into a hissyfit/depression state and wont eat till i put him back..

i guess next time i go on vacation im bringing my tanks :S i knew the person n they have many reef tanks. hey were supposed to come next door and feed n do wate changes.. i guess only person i can trust with my betas is myself :(

being gone so long im not sure if he started getting it the night i left, last month, last week. or even 3 days ago [well im sure wasnt 3 days ago but still] :(
Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #9 
pyro fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Could be an injury, but now that you mention he is old, older ones are more suceptible to cancer. As long as he is not suffering, just treat him like normal. If he does appear to suffer, it might be time to euthanize.
well by oldest betta i didnt mean hes ancient. i mean hes my oldest living betta i own currently. i got him from a walmart and had him almost a year now[and he wasnt full grown then] wiel some of my other bettas iv only had like 3-6months.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
im not sure either. iv only been back like 50 hrs. seems to be the same. iv only delt with fin rot, ick and some constipation [well bloating ofcourse]. but never this :S hes fasted 48hrs till bout a hr ago when i fed him. i dont realy wana put him in a 10g as this particular betta HATES any tank bigger then his drum bowl. and goes into a hissyfit/depression state and wont eat till i put him back..

i guess next time i go on vacation im bringing my tanks :S i knew the person n they have many reef tanks. hey were supposed to come next door and feed n do wate changes.. i guess only person i can trust with my betas is myself :(

being gone so long im not sure if he started getting it the night i left, last month, last week. or even 3 days ago [well im sure wasnt 3 days ago but still] :(
I know what you say about the larger tank, my one male didn't seem to like it either. He would be floating upside down within 24hrs I'd put him back in his cup & he'd be fine, that was just a 1g tank. Now 6 months later he's living happily in a 10g & no I didn't keep in his cup for months, he did end up in a 1g for a few months. Anyways, I digress. I'd watch it for a couple of days & see if there's any change now that he's getting proper water changes. I stay away from meds & salt except as a last resort & unless I know for certain what I'm treating but that's me, IME warm clean water works the best almost anything.