Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #1 
Andrew890

Exclamation EMERGENCY! Can anything be done to help this betta?

Just yesterday I noticed a small white spot on my Betta's tail - at first I thought it was just a normal color change that was a sign he was becoming old. But then, his ENTIRE tail started to get eaten away and I was getting worried- I did a lot of research and realized it was most likely because the day before yesterday I had attempted to clean the gravel (with the gravel vacuum) and ended up taking out about 90% of the water (my betta was in a separate container all the while). The water replacement I then conducted must have stressed him to the point of weakening his immune system. I am fairly sure that the cause was not high ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels because I made sure to clean the new water with the proper dose of water conditioner, the gravel was thoroughly cleaned, my tank is a 2 gallon with a filter, and my tank has many healthy plants. My tank has no heater so that may have sped up the process of fin rot he began with. I made the mistake of telling my dad to buy Bettafix when his tail started to fall apart thinking that it would solve the problem, but then I did research and everyone says that's exactly what NOT to get in an extreme case like this one. My betta's behavior seems to be perfectly normal. He still swims around his aquarium (with what's left of his fins), he has an appetite, and he is still curious about the things outside his tank. I'm only sixteen so the only way I can go out and get the required medicine and equipment to make him get better is to convince my partents, and right now my parents think it's absolutely ridiculous that I get this worried over a fish and they refuse to help me, thinking that when a fish gets sick it's just destined to die.
So I just want to know if anything can be done to help this poor guy, or if at this point it's hopeless to even try to convince my parents to help me. Can he be saved?

Andrew890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 
MSG

I think your betta has that dreaded mystery disease that some blue bettas get struck with from time to time. Sakura is the one that would know for sure. Run a search and contact her to get her opinion.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

This is the "mystery disease" for sure. He's a new fish, isn't he?

I'm so very sorry about this, I can assure you this is NOT your fault in any way, this comes from the breeding as far as we know. I don't think there's anything you can do, this disease moves at lightning speed. -hug-
This is all we know:
IMPORANT: Watch For These Disease Signs
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #4 
Andrew890

@MSG Thank you for the recommendation - just sent her a message
@Olympia Thank you for your kindness - I'm really sad to hear this, but at the same time incredibly relieved to know it was nothing wrong on my part because I would be devastated to know it was on account of a stupid u _ u

Last edited by Andrew890; 08-25-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Andrew890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 
Fredsterbit

Go to the sticky of the mystery disease

Hey Andrew890, is it spreading fast? If so, it's very likely that it's that mystery disease. Go to the sticky, and post about it for the benefit of the others. List all of the details that you can about the situation of this fish, not only it's symptoms but also what you give it, food, medicine, products, any salts?, water parameters, where you got it, your location, ANYTHING that was linked to it. If something terrible does happen, (i sure hope it doesn't... I'm trying to make a fish recover myself...) call a vet and ask to preserve the body. Sakura has more info on what to do with it. The more info we have on this, the quicker we can solve this.
Fredsterbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

A final note-- find out whether you can reuse your equipment after this (pretty sure you can as this is genetic), and if/when you purchase another betta, avoid blue ones, as they are likely to all have this, and as far as we know this has only affected blue fish.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #7 
KcSaf

so sorry :(
KcSaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. Oh goodness. This does look like our mystery disease but just to be sure, let me ask a few questions.

How quickly did this come on? Did the tail get eaten away in a matter of hours or days? How is his behavior? Will he eat? Can he swim?

I'm sorry your parents are uncooperative. Sadly, that's a common opinion about fish. :( You are doing the best you can so be proud of yourself. If they will let you, try to get some aquarium salt at a pet store and add 1 tsp per gallon to his tank. Otherwise, with this disease, all that can really be done is to make him as comfortable as possible. If he has trouble breathing air from the surface, lower the water level for him. Keep his tank dark and quiet. Good luck.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #9 
GaspeGirl

Could this be the Blue Betta Mystery Disease??

Hi Everyone,

I posted a couple of times here recently; Anthony came down with something and I've been trying to nurse him back to health here for 6 days.

Does this look like the dreaded disease? He was looking a bit better but today it looks somewhat worse.

His tail has basically disappeared and just a little stump left.
Attached Images

GaspeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #10 
GaspeGirl

I'm sorry, I meant to post this in the main forum area; Andrew890 I'm very sorry about your betta ...
GaspeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body rot, disease, extreme, fin rot