Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #1 
Sundancex

Er, real skull as a decoration?

Ok, so this might be a little...off...to some people, but whatever.

I have a 10 acre horse farm, so naturally there are other inhabitants that wander around the property like fox, skunks, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, etc. I found a skull of an animal some time ago, and it has just been sitting outside for the past few months. Could it be aquarium safe? Could I make it aquarium safe? I'm not sure if I even would want it in my aquarium, just kind of thinking out loud.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 
registereduser

I know some folks love the fake ones but frankly I think skulls whether fake or real are GROSS!

Recently someone posted a picture of their tank with some real deer horns in it and no one said it was dangerous, so maybe you'd have to boil it first? Google: "real skulls in aquarium"
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah boil it first if you did but I dont think its a good idea to put in your tank.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Source of calcium; as it naturally decomposes (and it will), it will raise calcium ion concentration in the water, producing hard water.

The question is: at what rate will it decompose-- which I'm not sure anyone has an answer for.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #5 
Jupiter

That would be an interesting idea though, although I can see what Olympia said happening.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #6 
Sapphoira

As someone who has boiled down far too many animal carcasses in her day, let me tell you that it is really hard to get rid of all the bits that will decay and cause ammonia spikes. The only really good way to get a clean skull or bones is to soak it in chemicals, like borax - which would probably not be good to add to your tank. You might try boiling it and then letting it sit in water for a few weeks. Bones also contain bone grease, which can be really gross and I'm not sure if it will cause issues with the ph of your water or not. It would be an interesting experiment though, but I would hesitate to do it with fish! Oh and btw, I swear I'm not creepy I just have a degree in anthropology and I deal with zooarchaeology a lot which involves many many dead animals :P
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Bleach! the soak and clean. then immerse in prime! lololol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

it might be done if you boiled it, let some dermestid beetles go at it to get the remaining chunks off, then clear-coated it with aquarium safe clear paint, and let it dry for at least 48 hours. or you could get a fake molded skull that's already aquarium-safe and probably designed specifically for fish to swim in and out of.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #9 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
it might be done if you boiled it, let some dermestid beetles go at it to get the remaining chunks off, then clear-coated it with aquarium safe clear paint, and let it dry for at least 48 hours. or you could get a fake molded skull that's already aquarium-safe and probably designed specifically for fish to swim in and out of.
Swimming in and out of it.. excellent point there. depending on the age of the skull, and how quickly it was prepared, it could splinter badly and have really sharp edges. If it is fresh and isn't allowed to dry out before it is defleshed and has all the cartilaginous material removed, then it will not shatter and will be well conditioned with bone grease.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #10 
Laki

First thing I thought of was sharp pieces in the holes. But if you combine a lot of the methods here, first let beetles clean it, then boil and bleach it (file off any sharp edges), soak it for a few weeks in plain water and prime then dry it and paint it with aquarium paint and then it could be safe?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote