Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #11 
Meggie6347

Exclamation

Thanks, guys! (a123andpoof, you totally need to get another king betta...)

Well, he made it through the night, but he is not swimming much...when he does swim, he has to pump his pectoral fins very hard and quickly. But most of the time he is just laying completely motionless in the floating plants (I thought he was dead a few times). This morning my sister went to feed him but couldn't get him to come up to eat...he was resting on the bottom. His right eye looks a little weird.

I'm not sure if I want to drain the tank halfway so that it's easier for him to get to the top? But he CAN swim....just not as easily as I'd like him to.

On top of all that, I can't get him to eat. Not since I fed him bloodworms in his cup. Last night I tried feeding him pellets, and I made it sink because he isn't used to his pellets floating (because of how they fed him at petco), and he tried chasing it down. He kept trying to eat it but was off a quarter inch every time he lunged for it...like he was chasing it all the way down, and when it fell to the bottom he gave up because he could find it.

What do you all think I should do for him?
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #12 
lelei

Aww..I just read the whole thread, and congrats on saving him, I hope it's not too late, it;s odd, they do so well the first day or two, then for some odd reason they kind of go into some kind of shock, for the most part keep him in the clean warm water, keep on trying to feed some pellets, and keep talking to him and gettin his attention, and only time will tell, I feel so bad for the kings, they have it the worst, and I always wanted to help a king, but at this time I cannot,

I am just soo happy someone can, and give a king a good loving home..I will send prayers your way..and I hope your king Rory recovers and does well:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #13 
lelei

What size is the tank..sometimes if the fins arent strong enough because of the lack of space to swim, he may need to be in H/T for about 3-4 days maybe the amount of space scared him, and he isnt ready for a big space..try to put him in a Kk for a little while if he doesn't show much interest in the big tank right now..just so he can swim but not be intimidated by too much space..
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #14 
Meggie6347

Thank you!

The tank is 5.5 gallons...the only other empty tanks I have are an empty ten gallon and a 1/3 gallon betta keeper...do you think I should put sand and some plants in the betta keeper for a few days or just drain the 5.5 gallon halfway so he has a little less water for a few days?

Oh, and I also forgot to mention, it gave me a scare last night...when he was resting on the floating plats, his spine had a scary curve to it...

And what I said about his eye,im not sure if it's a slight case of poppy or if I'm just being a worry wort...what about that?

Edit: forgot to mention, the filter on his tank his EXTREMELY light...almost no flow, so I don't think that's a problem

Thank you for your help!
Meg
Old 08-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #15 
inuudo

You really inspire me. You're doing such a good thing for Rory (love the name!). I'm completely new to being owned by a Betta, so I have no help to offer besides being a cheering section.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #16 
lelei

Or if you could put more plants in the 5.5 and a hidey cave..so he feels more secure..possibly a log, something dark, and comfy..also get a divider, or make one, so he only has half the tank to use..and drain a lil, maybe almost half, and see how he does..keep an eye on his "eye" and see if it tends to enlarge, if it does it maybe popeye..or could be because he is s king his eyes are already lookin very big..

but if it's only one..I would keep watch..If you have a betta keeper, it's only 1/3 gal..that is small..I would not use that..but if you had a 2 gal Krittr keeper that would be good..if not keep him in the tank, as he may be adjusting..

and will continue to do so..but if you see any other types of changes, then transfer him, but as for eating, and swimming he has to eat to remain strong for swimming, Is he eating good? or better..
Old 08-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #17 
registereduser

I have no rescue experience but I just want to send your Mom a message and tell her she rocks. So many kids here can't get their parents to help them with their betta hobby and my heart goes out to them. Your Mom is a gem
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #18 
Meggie6347

Thank you!

Registereduser: thank you! yea she is amazing, besides all the fish tanks...I love how she was the one who grabbed the tank and asked me...no told me...that I couldn't take him out of the house

Inuudo: thank you so much, that means a lot! I didn't know that this inspired anybody! I was just sharing for the fun of it!

And lelei: thank you for your help! Yea the 1/3 gallon is super small, and the only reason I got it was because when I rescued Walter from a sad place in California, I bought it because I didn't want him to make the 16 hour drive in his minuscule cup..I don't have a divider but I will drain the tank halfway today maybe, just to relieve him a bit of big tank shock.

Since he is not eating pellets, I might try bloodworms...I know he just ate them a few days ago, but I'd rather him eat a few extra bloodworms than eat nothing. I really don't have any plants I can put in there...all of my tanks are very well established and I don't want to pull any of the established rooted plants out...he does have lots of floating plants that he likes to rest in, though....maybe I can drain the tank halfway and put a glass mug in there?

And the thing with his eye: you know the clear part that covers the actual eye? (I forgot what it is called)...but you can see it when they look at you head on...well the one on his right side looks like it comes out further than I'd like. And when it also kind of looks like a cataract, but not exactly...like kind of cloudy? But not overly cloudy...ahhh it's so hard to explain!

Thank you for your help! And thank you for all of your comments and encouragement! I'm happy to see that people might be following this! Any other suggestions and comments are extremely welcomed!
Meg

Last edited by Meggie6347; 08-26-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #19 
lelei

The BW's are ok, but not to depend on them, he needs to get used to pellets, then you can feed Bw's every so often..keep trying the pellets even if he spits them out, which most likely he will, but eventually with persistance, he will eat them, he needs to keep up his strength..btw..what kind of pellets are you feeding?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #20 
Meggie6347

I am feeding aqueon betta food pellets..I have been for a while, never had a problem. I switched over from a larger pellet a while ago and my bettas seem to love them.

What do you think I should do with draining the tank and putting the glass mug in? Does that sound good?

And does the eye thing sound bad? Sould I just keep his water pristinely clean right now and see what happens?

Thank you for your help!