Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #21 
Meggie6347

Okay, I just checked on him; although his body is still a bit curved, he seems to be able to swim okay. So I don't think I will have to drain it, but I think I will still put that glass mug in there for a bit of security for Rory.

There is definitely something wrong with his eye. My mom said she noticed it too, said it looked swollen, so it's not just me. What is the best treatment for popeye?
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #22 
Meggie6347

Alright everyone, quick update: with clean, warm water, rory has had some improvement. His spine looks like it has straightened out quite a bit, his eye is looking much better, he is having a bit easier of a time swimming around, he is becoming less clamped...

I put that glass mug in there...he loves it! He is always laying in it and pokes his head out when he sees me. When he is not in the cup he is usually hanging out in the floating plants I have noticed him swimming around every once in a while and he doesn't seem to have to pump his pectoral fins so hard...

I'm still having a hard time getting him to eat pellets. He doesnt seem to know that he is supposed to come to the top, and when I make them sink, he doesn't see them...I did, however, get him to eat 2 bloodworms the other day (frozen, not freeze dried)...so I'm at a loss for what to do about that

That's it for now, except that he seems to be picking up a little bit of color. I will post pictures sometime soon. I have them, I just haven't uploaded them yet.

Thanks for reading! Please feel free to comment!
Meg
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #23 
MistersMom

HES SO CUTE!!!! all wedged up in that floating plant and with his biggo eye balls, and he is GORGEOUS i can't believe someone passed him up :/
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #24 
Meggie6347

Thank you, MistersMom! Unfortunately, all the people are always wanting the healthy dragonscales or beautiful halfmoons and always pass up the sick, docile, gentle giants with personality That's okay, because now I get do have him!

Anyway, I uploaded the pictures. The first two pictures are what his spine looked like whenever he wasn't swimming...it's straightening up quite nicely now! Just in a few days!

And after putting the mug in last night, this is what I came down to this morning! "Well goodmorning, sunshine."

Thanks for all of your replies and encouragement! I will keep updating on his progress, with pictures of course!
Meg
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #25 
DoctorWhoLuver

Haha; very pretty :)
I also named my new betta Rory :D
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #26 
inuudo

He's wonderful! Thank you for keeping us updated. I love that photo of him in his cup.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #27 
Sceven

Ooooo is that baby blue I see on the tops of his fins, pretty, pretty boy
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #28 
Meggie6347

Thank you everyone for following this! It's really nice to see that people are actually reading this

Big news! Rory ate his first pellets today. First substantial thing he has eaten in about 5 days...im really relieved about that. I could never get him to come up to the top...he was just so lethargic and it looked like he was having a really hard time swimming for the last few days, but as of today, his spine has straightened out quite a bit and he has had a much easier time swimming...he has been using this opportunity to explore his tank and swim around to look at me whenever I come up I put my hand over the tank and he swam right up to it....so I immediately grabbed the food and put it in piece by piece as he ate them, and he ate again tonight. Maybe I can start putting a bit of a belly on the poor guy

His eye also looks MUCH better...I don't think I will have to worry about whatever was going on...looks like the warm clean water did the trick. His water is still set to about 80-81 degrees.

He is also starting to pick up some maroon...not red, maroon didn't see that one coming.......he was so pale I didn't know what colors he was going to show if I managed to save him! I'm sure a few other surprising colors will pop up and brighten up sooner or later, too! And you are right, sceven (thank you so much for your kind comment!), he is showing some baby blue, too! Like a mixture between baby blue and teal

That was just a quick update, I will try to post pictures as soon as I can, so you can see for yourself how he is doing!

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all of your comments and kind words!
Meg

Last edited by Meggie6347; 08-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #29 
homegrown terror

he'll probably be a wild color-type, most king bettas are. it's a relatively new breed, so most of them you see will be the teal-body-red-fin, solid teal, or purple.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #30 
Meggie6347

*Picture Update: 1 Week*

Hey everyone! It's been a few days since I have posted an update. It has now been one week, and it is incredible how much of an improvement little Rory has made. He doesn't even look like the same fish. Almost a week ago, I wasn't sure he was going to make it. Now I think I will have him for quite a long time .

My mom has discovered that whenever she walks by the tank (because his tank is on one of the islands in the kitchen) he follows her in his tank. He will swim towards whatever direction she is walking.

His eye still needs improvement but he is on his way to recovery, his fins look great (I think), his spine is almost completely straightened out, he is eating without a problem now, and he is so social with us. I am consantly seeing my mom standing in front of his tank watching him No bubble nest yet, but I am hoping for one in the future.

Now that I know that he is going to live, I decided to renovate his tank a little bit for him. The mug is still in there, just until my dad and I can make him a coconut cave and cover it in moss. I wanted to leave the cup in there because he loves it.

Anyway, enough rambling, here is Rory at one week!