Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 
Aahnay

Winter draft care ?

Winter is coming and I realized just a few minutes ago, that the placement of my new tanks, isnt the best. I will one 20 about 26 inches from the freezing floor, the at 30 inches above that the 3/4 gallon, and the 10 gallon.

The 20 will be a 10 for now. The stand will be at 90 degrees to the wall, stickout?

Any ideas how to protect it in the very cold of winter? I thought i could make a 3 sided box for each tank our of insulation foam? maybe the 2 inch? I just dont have any experience.

The last two nights have been down to 49, and I noticed the 7 gallon tank tub, dropped 4 degrees and the heater was on all night. I think the gradual drop and going back up wont kill them, but isnt a good plan for a daily routine.

I could also put one of those tiny personal heaters under the stand, but the stand is wood, not open metal mesh. Well Ok, thanks again for all your help.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

(I'm not sure I understand the placement of your tanks. A picture would help.)

What about a space heater for the room? I know Mr.V (one of our breeders) uses them to heat his fish room. Styrofoam insulation is another option. Enclose all sides that aren't commonly viewed with a few inches of insulation. Maybe buy a stryfoam cooler and cut it up to fit the sides. Is moving the tanks to a higher floor possible?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #3 
Aahnay

T the stand is the upright of the T er the vertical the horizontal is the wall. No higher ground. Thats a great idea though.. Crap. I can build a box on 3 sides and the bottom, as nothing will be on the bottom shelf, and put a personal heater in there. I think it will work.

If not, well, Ill put a new shelf on the wall, up higher and put them there for the winter. or box em in with a door =)

Thank you for the suggestions. I have heat in here, but in the winter, the really cold part lasts maybe a month or so, the heat cant keep up, well its all on the ceiling. There is a cold layer from floor to knees. I sit with a blanket over my legs, and put a little heater, same wats as a light bulb, under the blanket, the heat rises and im great.

I have another electric room heater that blows but again, it all rushes up... lol. Its been fine for me and the animals, but for fish? not so much. Too bad I cant put the tanks in bed, lol its very high off the floor!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #4 
Basement Bettas

If you have heaters in the tanks they will be fine. You want to insulate some tape some nunnle wrap around sides and back. Will help hold in the heat.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #5 
Aahnay

bubble wrap? I hadnt thought of that, was thinking insul board.. good idea, and thank you.

I was afraid the temp up and down in winter would be too great for the fish.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 
lelei

I have been comtemplating this issue, and with adjustable heaters I think would be a better option that way you will know what the best temp will be, and it will stay that way..

even in really cold places, because I will be having the same problem pretty soon, as I remember when I had my first fish in April the temp was around 40's 50's nite and I remember in the am when I was checking the temp it said 77 or 78 but the water to me, felt really cold, I was worried because I saw Sammy clamped a lot..

so Idk..and I use the Preset heaters now..should always be the 78 temp..but for precautions I may take most of my fish upstairs, as heat rises and no risk of extra drafts or cold..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #7 
Aahnay

yeah, my heaters are both adjustable. The temp swing now is like 50 degrees from am to pm, although during the day I use the air, but still its about 80 in here.

I wish i could go up. Often thought of building an upper and moving my fav chair to it in the winter, lol. Maybe its time to do that for these new fish. =)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #8 
babystarz

You can buy draft protectors for the room to put along the bottom of the door(s), they work very well for sealing rooms off from the cold. They look like long, skinny pillows. This type of insulator is one of the most cost-effective options. If you have old windows they probably leak heat also, so you can improvise with adding insulating materials around the edges to help seal them off.

Also consider getting an electric space heater for the room. If you can keep the air temperature up, your tank heaters won't have to work as hard.

Can you tell I'm from Minnesota? :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #9 
Aahnay

lol, so true. Yeah, its from the floor, no insulation at all. Yes i have storm windows i put up actually i leave most on all year, they help in summer too. I do have a space heater, but its still cold at the floor. at 30 its not bad, but below that, it freezes the toes, lol.

I think i have another better plan, my kitchen should be about half done, and I will just put them on the kitchen counter. I wont be able to watch them all the time, but they will be warmer there for sure, and can still use the heater if not warm enough.

Thanks for your suggestions, great stuff.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #10 
lelei

When I used to reside in an old apt bldg, with horrible old windows and very drafty doors, I would use the plastic on the windows, to seal out the cold, sometimes it works, but a space heater is a help, just be extra careful with those, as they can be dangerous with dry conditions, and fumes..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote