Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #1 
Sapphoira

Tesla keeps knocking over my divider :(

So I made a divider for my 10g, according to the specifications at http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

aand even though it seems like it's solid, he keeps knocking it over. I have it sunk in about 2 inches of substrate, and I've start piling up rocks around the base of it but he keeps doing SOMETHING where I come in and find the divider on it's side, and Tesla happily perusing the whole tank. Luckily I haven't added the second fish to the tank yet, as I did want to see how it would go. When I put the divider back in he gets super upset and checks every square millimeter of the divider for weaknesses - maybe this is a sign he just needs to have his own tank? any suggestions?
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Maybe so...how long has he been doing this ? Betta are really smart and seem to like challenge.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #3 
DragonFish

I can't see the link I'm afraid, but assuming you used craft mesh, you could double up on it. I find that makes the dividers stand straighter and stay more stable. Another option is to silicone the divider in, but thats a little....permanent. Up to you though.

There are those few bettas who just aren't suited for divided tanks, however. Generally most of the fish I've had do alright, but I've had a few that just absolutely hated being in a divided tank. Your boy may just be one that does need to be on his own....even if you get the divider to where he can't get though, he may still stress himself out trying to find a way or just plain may not be too happy.
Then again its also possible he may settle down once you get the divider secure, its hard to say since I don't know the fish, lol. So its your call.

Hope I could help, best of luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #4 
Sapphoira

Well he's only been in this tank for about three days, and he has knocked it over at least once a day. He's also my problem fin nipper, so I have tried to make his habitat as interesting as possible with hidey holes, plants, a betta log, etc.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 
buddhauser

Try putting a report binder at the top and bottoms ... maybe your dividers arent wide enough and easily fall with pressure. try pushing the dividers on the side as far out as possible so there is no wiggle room. Might have to redo them if they dont stay up. Mine stay up just fine. At the top i cut an insert where the divider basically hangs on the plastic rim of the tank
buddhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #6 
Laki

When I was putting mine together I followed that tutorial on TFK and instead of the bend they had, I trimmed down my mesh one line at a time to fit it perfectly under the rim on the tank with report sliding on all 4 sides of the mesh. It's stable and looks great, didn't even fall over when I was scrubbing it with a sponge!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote