Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #11 
pyro fiend

oh dont worry guys i planned on puting ALOT of plants :P not sure what id do about hides tho o.0 and i was giong to take my time planting it so it could cycle and whatnot then get my girls once its perfect and QT them for 3-4 weeks so even if i got it all planted tomarrow.. itd be filtered by the time the girls are done.

and yes im using soil under it and this is just the start. im waiting on petcos sipments to come in so i can look again. i planned on some anarcharis and maybe some other types of swords if i can find them. like amazon.[my fave] ...thought about duckweed but people say it spreadys quickly. and not wanting to put in a air pump thrws it up int he air for me sense bettas breath air alot of the time..

also is there anyplace to buy mts? my lps dont label there snails.. iv seen apple in there but also looks like iv seen the ones that are pests. and the ones that are all by themself arnt labeled the type of snail its just "snails"

contacted ofs once befor shes the one who made me want a npt almost a yr ago :)
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 AM   #12 
pyro fiend

i asked this in the 'post your betta homes here' but not sure il get the replies im wanting.. you all seem like a smart bunch :) so i added my driftwood.. and seems much bigger then i thought o.0 [even against glass it looked smaller lol]

would this be too big for a all girl tank, seeing as how you should have alot of things to loose sight.. or would this be fine?

attatched with few angles. and yes there is a betta in there a male. just to help it cycle a tad faster :) [thats what i think anywho]
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #13 
candyman995

I like the drift wood look in your tank should look nice with a few more plants growing in there :).

What would you say was the best way to anchor your drift wood down as i want to put some in my tank but cant think how
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #14 
pyro fiend

mine naturaly sunk. iv read a few places where people said they boiled theres for a few hours in stockpots and itd sink afterwords. only other way i personally can think is put it in a tub or spare tank with a brick anchored to bottom. or to either side of it.. as gravel and sand wouldnt be nearly heavy enough to hold it down for good. may wana boil it a wiel. itl get any possible tannis out and it may waterlog it for you :)

but thanks i thought so too. hoping to go get some more plants soon. not sure what all ima get yet but ik ima get something :P even if its just a mossball and some bulbs lol
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #15 
pyro fiend

here is a lil update ladys n gents. i bough an amizon sword. it came in 3 parts n added 2 [3rds floating.] ones in back right ones smack dead in center.. dk wer eput 3rd. thought of behind the wood but thought the suction from this strong fiter would try to eat it XC

males loving the new tank tho he wont be staying. hes loving the amazons tho keeps swimming in and around the planted and floating one/s :O
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #16 
pyro fiend

and one more update. looks like even tho i aint been able to get a cfl my plants are growing quite well even spreading out there leaves... sence last pic i planted the 3rd sword behind the wood. i added a betta bulb [front nothing from it yet] tied an anubia to my wood floating a 'asian water fern' and put a lil stem plant thing in the back [cant see] to see how well it did in my looowly lighted tank looks like they are healthy ,excluding the stem, no dead leaves. seems they are growing. i also have quite a few new leaves starting :D

hows everyone liking the progress? :P
also i decided sence my tanks a high one i woudln't go with cories. instead iv added 3 lil otos and i couldn't be happier all 4 fish get alone :D
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

looks great. you need more stem plants...
anacharis, naja grass, water wisteria to name a few...

something has to use the nutrition in the soil, fast.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #18 
pyro fiend

iv got one stem in there. i need to go get my cfl soon. and once i do i may be adding the other 3 small stems tht was in same tube... why fast? o.0
Old 09-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

you have soil under the sand cap right...? if the nutrition isnt used... it could leech into the water... or it will just "go bad XD" fast growing stem plants uses their roots to kick start the npt process...

what do you have? many are lowlight plants.. I'd say to just add them...

and if u want a cfl I can send u a 6400k for $3ea + $3-$5 shipping...
15w or 23w
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #20 
pyro fiend

yea 1/2in dirt layer. i do however wana redo it some time. i didnt do a verry good job of washing my dirt =\.. and only stem i can find around here [cnt aford to buy from a site atm] is the one i have a hygrophila corymbosa. which is doing terrable in my 20. and seems to be doing ok [tho a potassium defficiency] in my 10 with only gravel.