Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #1 
Banditcat

How many female bettas in a 20 gallon?

I wanted to set up a 20 gallon female betta tank for my birthday a few months from now. Can 3 live in a 20 gallon comfortably? Or should I go with a bigger tank? How big should the tank be if I would want to have 5?
Banditcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #2 
queenamira

Well firstly it's best to have more than 3 if you want to avoid prolonged and targeted aggression. I've heard of 4-5 females living in a 10 gallon, as long as it is heavily planted, so you could easily have more in a 20. Personally I'd probably do around 7 in a 20. Just have lots and lots of live plants at varying heights and sizes; tall and bushy, short and stalky, etc etc.
queenamira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #3 
BettaTalk

Hello,
I have a twenty gallon tank and I have nine females in there. Realisticaly, you could fit ten in there but its best to keep female sororitys in odd numbers so I stuck to nine. It has been going wonderfully so far. My only suggestion is to add all of the fish at the same time. I had gotten five at once and they had most likely been from the same spawn or breeder so they got along very well. I then decided to get four more a few months later and I wish that I had gotten them all at the same time. They did not like each other at all but after a lot of extra acclimation everything ended up working out. I hope that your girls like the new tank!
-BettaTalk
BettaTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #4 
ThatFishThough

Depending on the color, 5 or more. No less than 5, ever. I admit, I have 3, -but- I'm going tomorrow when PetCo gets their new shipment of bettas in. My 3 are divided using a mesh craft sheet. So they can see eachother but can't get toe eachother.
ThatFishThough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #5 
SplashyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFishThough View Post
Depending on the color, 5 or more. No less than 5, ever. I admit, I have 3, -but- I'm going tomorrow when PetCo gets their new shipment of bettas in. My 3 are divided using a mesh craft sheet. So they can see eachother but can't get toe eachother.
What do you mean by 'depending on the color'?
SplashyBetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #6 
BettaTalk

Maybe ThatFishThough means that you should be aware of the colors. Sometimes bettas will attack each other due to them thinking that the other is prettier than the her. I have read that on many sites but it rarely happens. I have only had one betta fight in the 4+ months that I have had my sorority and my friend has one too and has only had a few small fights. The only reason that mine fought was because I had a baby in the tank and the oldest one picked on her and bullied her due to her size. I don't think that you would have an issue with colors though. I would be more concerned with sizes. I "rescued" two smaller bettas (I'm assuming they are babies) from petsmart and they seemed to only want to be with each other. The only reason I took them in was because I didn't want someone to take them and put them in a bowl and have them get stunted when they are so young. I have one really aggressive girl that I had to remove from the tank a few days ago. She wrestled one of my babies to the bottom of the tank and injured her very badly. I had to remove both of them from the tank and treat the hurt one. I put the bully in her own tank where she will remain. She is far to agressive with other fish. As for the injured one, she passed this morning from not being able to move her fins. Here are some tips that I have for sorority owners:

1.) Make sure that you keep them in correct numbers. I would say 9 or 10 for 20 gallons and 5 for ten gallons. I would really keep 9 in a 20 gallon just so that you have space. I do have to admit that I only have seven girls in my tank due to a fight resulting in one death and a decision to take out an aggressive girl. I will hopefully be adding some more girls soon. I got lucky enough to still have an odd number which is good.

2.) Make sure that the girls are all the same size! Baby bettas may be cute but stay away from them for sororities! They will most likely get beat up and end up dying like mine did!

3.) Add LOTS of plants! It doesn't matter if they are fake or live just make sure they have lots of plants to swim through and hide in! It really does help out a lot! If you are out a lot and they start to fight the damage will be less extravagant if there are places to hide. Fights don't happen often but its still good to be prepared!

4.) Add some entertainment to the tank. I have added some floating tunnels and some small spots that they can swim through and hide in. This will keep them from even thinking about fighting. I haven't used this trick myself but some people use terricotta pots in their tanks. You want to make sure that you clean it just like any other decoration though. If the hole at the bottom of the pot is smaller than your fish you might want to seal it with some aquarium sealant to make sure no one gets stuck when you aren't looking.

5.) Have extra containers, kritter keepers or something on hand in case someone gets in a fight or you decide that one of the girls is not fit to be in a sorority. I wish that I knew this tip before because I am one year away from being able to legally get a job which drives me crazy. I don't have a steady cash flow going into my piggy bank so I sometimes have to rely on my mom which doesn't always make her happy lol. I ended up having to use an old fish bowl and borrow my little brothers extra heat lamp for his hermit crabs to heat one of my injured bettas up. In short, HAVE EXTRA SUPPLIES ON HAND!!!!!

I hope that this helped! Some of these tips were simply learned through other people and some of them were just from trial and error. Having a tank is always hard but this type of tank is ecspecially hard because bettas can be super unpredictable when put together. I hope that you enjoy your tank!

-BettaTalk

(P.S I forgot to add this tip: Always be on the watch for ich and other parasites! They seem to visit community tanks more often! I ended up having to make a few emergency runs to the pet store in between school and training sessions with my off-site show animals (I show livestock. Mostly pigs, goats and rabbits but I also do other animals sometimes.) to get ich guard and other medicines. Make sure that you have ich guard, aquarium salt, melafix and stress coat on hand at all times! It really helps out when your in a pinch ecspecially if you are as busy as I am! I reccomend having a small bag, basket or shelf dedicated to fish stuff. This way you can keep your fish pharmaceuticals in one place. Goodluck with your new fish!!!!!)
Old 02-19-2016, 12:20 AM   #7 
SplashyBetta

Here's a tip that will very likely save some fishes' lives: QUARANTINE. Always. Girls from separate tanks or cups at a pet store should be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks in separate tanks before being introduced to each other. During this time you need to be watching for any signs of disease. If anything seems off, keep her in quarantine.
SplashyBetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #8 
BettaTalk

You don't have to quarantine them if they came from the same store. You can always quarantine them just to be safe but I haven't done that with any of my girls and they seemed fine. If you do decide to quarantine you could use the following method. You can use the cups that they came in or get some at the dollar store (4 for $1!!!!!) and just float them at the top for a week or so and see if they are okay. If so, you can release them all at the same time. I also thought of a few more tips you could use! Here goes!

1.) I have had a betta in the past that liked to hide in the plants and stay low to the ground. I always thought that was odd. She got to the point where she wouldn't even come up to eat. The next time I did a water change, I added her in first and waited about thirty seconds before I added the others. She has never been better! She just needed some time to get her territory all set.

2.) When and if you decide to add more bettas like I did, (I started out with five and then added four more to make nine) take all of the bettas out and put them into their cups. Then float both the new ones and the old ones at the same time. This way when you release them, they will all have a chance in the pecking order. I made this mistake when getting them and I regret it. I plan on picking up another two girls to balance it out and I'm going to use this trick.

3.) If you decide to keep snails as well, (Do it! They are awesome!) feed them snail jello. Its way better than waffers because it doesn't cloud up the water. I also reccomend getting either nerite snails or mystery snails. If you get mystery snails make sure to get more than one. They are quite antisocial on their own. They will probably breed but you can always flush the clutches down the toilet or just not let them hatch. If you need help with that just let me know and I can post instructions on that too. Here is the link to how to make snello (Snail jello):
https://youtu.be/jgqPDd1vwGY

These are all the tips I have now but I will most likely think of more as I go on. Hope you have a great new sorority! You can always PM me if you need more help! I will also subscribe to this thread so I can stay updated and provide more help and info if needed!
-BettaTalk
Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #9 
ThatFishThough

Hehe; I meant cover. Oops.
ThatFishThough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #10 
BettaTalk

Covers do matter though. Make sure that you have a cover on your tank! It doesn't have to have lights although they are preferred but make sure you have a lid! There is almost always going to be that one fish that feels the need to jump out of their tank. Please do let me know if you need extra help! That goes for anyone that is reading this! If you have a sorority PM me and I can help you!
-BettaTalk

(P.S Lol I think that you will like this meme @ThatFishThough

)