Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #1 
Rosebud975

Smile Sand in betta tank, need help

Hi guys, I'm very happy to say that I will be upgrading my bettas tank to a 7 gallon, more stylish tank soon but I'm deciding to go with sand this time as a substrate, just had some questions: what sand should I use? How do I clean it? How will it affect any live plants? Will it affect the PH or anything? And how do I prepare for it to go in the tank?

Also since I'm upgrading, what tank mates could I get for my betta, he's on his own. I've been thinking about getting some shrimp but will I be able to get a small shoal of pygmy cories instead. Or will it be pushing it? I don't want to end up with mis-treated fish! Thanks everyone for the helpful support also just to add my betta has lived with some tank mates before and he is docile and peaceful.
Rosebud975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #2 
Mercury

I put sand into one of my aquariums for the first time a few weeks ago when I was getting it ready for a new betta. Make sure you wash it several times through before putting it into the tank, just incase there's anything that shouldn't be in there. It shouldn't affect your pH as I didn't notice any changes in mine when I put the sand in.

I have a few plants in there with the sand, and I'm using root tabs with it at the moment, and it seems to be doing a good enough job at keeping the plants green and healthy.

As for tank mates, you could get a couple of shrimp to put in with him. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 10 gallons for a group of pygmy cories as they are quite active and love lots of space to swim around in together.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #3 
taquitos

I like Carib Sea sands. I have some Tahitian Moon Sand from them and it looks gorgeous. Next tank I am planning on putting their off-white sand in. I just rinsed it using a cereal tupperware container with a cheese cloth over the opening to get all the gross stuff out, and then put it in the tank and let the tank run for several days before adding any fish.

Carib Sea brand sand does not affect the pH :)
taquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #4 
Rosebud975

Thanks for your replies! Where could I get some Carib sea sand from? I'm not too sure if my local fish shop sells sand... But I have to go in soon for more dechlorinator for my goldfish tank, so I'll check then! Also what shrimp do you suggest will be best, I'm planning to have a heavily planted tank with small boxwood pieces and lots of marimo moss ( I just think they're so cute!). How long should I leave the new tank to cycle, I will be using the same decorations and filter media and will be checking the water every day, I'm thinking of letting it establish for about several weeks before I rush of to get shrimp, is this alright?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

Shrimp shouldn't be added to a community tank until it is three months past cycling as they need a stable environment. They are extremely sensitive to water parameter changes and even .25 ammonia can kill them. Guidelines are different in an invert-only tank.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #6 
Kim

I personally would just do a fishless cycle, add the betta once this is completed, then wait a month or two and add the shrimp.

Congrats on the upgrade!!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #7 
taquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud975 View Post
Thanks for your replies! Where could I get some Carib sea sand from? I'm not too sure if my local fish shop sells sand... But I have to go in soon for more dechlorinator for my goldfish tank, so I'll check then! Also what shrimp do you suggest will be best, I'm planning to have a heavily planted tank with small boxwood pieces and lots of marimo moss ( I just think they're so cute!). How long should I leave the new tank to cycle, I will be using the same decorations and filter media and will be checking the water every day, I'm thinking of letting it establish for about several weeks before I rush of to get shrimp, is this alright?
You can get it in most fish stores, but you can always order from an online store like Amazon or Big Al's as well. I have a Marimo too! Lots of fun :) My betta likes to chill on top of it or go behind it to stare at me suspiciously

You should be keeping check of your water parameters everyday. My 10 gallon has been running for around a month and is nearing the end of its cycle (nitrites are spiking, ammonia at a constant 0).

No advice on shrimp, but I haven't stocked my tank besides my betta and one Thai Micro Crab who hitch hiked his way to my home (so not really a choice lol). Both are extremely hardy so not that worried (unlike shrimp).
taquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #8 
Rosebud975

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've never kept shrimp, which species would be more suited to my setup? I've decided I will do a fishless cycle and add them after a couple of months. Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure everything will be alright for the little guys. I like the look of red cherry shrimp but then I think ghost shrimp are kinda cool. Which specie will be best and how many should I stock? Thanks again