Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #1 
Kim

My Tanks - At Long Last!

So, at long last, here are my 2 10 gallon tanks! Both are bare bottom. Yes, I mean bare bottom - the rocks and sand you see are just a thin layer that is siliconed to the bottom of the tank in order to provide a more natural feel for the fish without having any areas that debris can be trapped. I can honestly say that I'd never go back to sand or gravel now that I have seen the light! Literately, it takes about 1 minute to clean the tank, and then I'm just siphoning water until I've removed enough. Oh, and the RO unit I've been using...best thing ever for algae. I have no algae now, not even diatoms in a newly set up tank! So, without further ado, here they are:

10 gallon tank 1 (currently empty until my newest rescue comes out of QT):
Name:  DSCN5072.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  53.1 KB

10 gallon tank 2 which still needs a background (home to my little DT rescue Wormy):
Name:  DSCN5068.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  58.6 KB

And here's Wormy (so named because he had internal parasites!):
Name:  DSCN5078.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  73.3 KB
FYI: His tail isn't clamped, he actually has a floppy lobe that never straightens out (it's hanging on the other side in the pic). He's like a puppy with one upright and one floppy ear.

I hope you like . Sorry for the dark/blurry pics. The tanks aren't actually that dark, I'm just a much better scientist than a photographer!

Last edited by Kim; 10-15-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #2 
Kim

So here's the story on Wormy:

You may notice that his gills are a bit red - he was in an ammonia filled cup at Petco when I first got him. In fact, he was just lying on the bottom of the filthy cup, unable to float at all. He spent several months in QT being treated for internal parasites, his buoyancy finally returned, and his feces are now normal (a major step for a fish that was constantly bloated because he wouldn't poop for 3-4 weeks at a time). Yay Wormy!! His fins are a bit funny like I said above, and he's a pretty small little guy but he is VERY interactive, loves to be spoken to, and now jumps to get his food. He's very active now that he is in his 10 gallon (the QT is a 5 gal), and overall is just a happy little fish with a new lease on life :)
Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #3 
kjg1029

awexD wormy that's adorable!
kjg1029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #4 
Rosalinds

I'm very glad you rescued him in that state! He's a fighter for sure. :) And I love the deep red of his fins.
Rosalinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #5 
artemis35

Both of your tanks are gorgeous!

I especially love your take on a bare bottom tank - very clever.
I also have all bare bottom tanks. Oftentimes I see other tanks with substrate and am jealous at how nice it looks, and wonder again why I don't do it for myself. But, I remind myself of the answer every time I use the gravel vac to clean my tanks and it is so easy to see/siphon all of the gunk.

Also, it looks like you have done a superb job with Wormy. He is absolutely beautiful and he looks very happy and healthy. Gotta admit, I at his name - sounds like something I would do, too.
artemis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #6 
Kim

Thanks for the compliments everyone :) It was quite fun to put the tanks together; I made/modified most of the decorations myself. Oh, and I am getting some fish safe resin soon to make a nice piece of driftwood for Wormy's tank. That should be neat.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Lovely, Kim. Are those all plastic plants? That's a great treatment.

Seachem is selling Flourish Glue. It's a water-tolerant CA glue. Easier to use than resin, I would think.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #8 
Aeon

looks awesome at first thought it was planted --- luv it
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #9 
Kim

Yup, they are all silk plants, but I did a lot of cutting and messing around with them before I was happy with the result. Then I ended up with a bunch of extra leaves and made some low-lying "shrub-like" plants to make it all look more natural. The cave in the first tank is actually a terracotta flower pot that I poked a hole in, covered in black sand, and siliconed rocks and silk plants around to make it look more natural.

I'll have to look into that glue Hallyx - it sounds a lot easier to use than silicone (instant gratification can be very nice!). Thanks for posting :)
Old 10-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #10 
Aeon

i used super glue GEL on my ornatments no issues let dry 48 hrs but im def gonna look into Hallyx suggestion too
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote